Replacement outboard

  • Michael F
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2011
      I spent some time rebuilding the carbs on my 1993 2 cylinder 40 hp Evinrude. In the AZ heat and dryness leaving gas in any engine plugs up the carbs fairly fast. Anyway I did it again and also had a problem with the lift assist cylinder and it needs a water pump impeller. Found a good mechanic who charges about 1/4 of the shop prices and he pointed out that my 93 40 hp is really only 32 hp at the prop.

      I have a 1986 Yamaha 3 cylinder 50 hp which is about the same weight and has an electric trim and tilt and am planning to use it instead of the Evinrude after it's tuned and checked. Then I'll just sell the Evinrude. Should get some extra speed out of the Yamaha.
    • Randy Zerbe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2011
        Hi, Mike, glad to hear your making progress on your Mac 19, did you ever get new fuel tanks, with a different engine now would be the time.  50 hp should make it go!

          Judy and I are driving to Daytona Beach 6-11. I can't wait to see how Windfall faired and sail her again.                        It will be HOT down there ... stay cool, Randy

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2011
          Procrastinating as usual.  I'm hoping to find the very slow leak by putting food color water in the tanks under pressure to see where there are minor cracks then sealing them.  Metal tanks rust and dent, plastic ones crack and leak in the AZ heat. I bought a 3 gallon tank from Bass Pro just to use temporarily, may return it or?

          Are you going to be in Daytona in mid November?  Still hoping to visit.  Did you ever make contact with Alex Penn who has a condo near the beach in Daytona? He was excited about sailing.  We made some great business brokerage deals together and he graduated from Harvard Business School with Mitt Romney.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2011
            Hi Mike,  In November I will be In MI hunting whitetail deer, we are leaving to go to FL on the 11th of June, again in Sept. and Dec.
            I  am asking you again to abandon the "fix gas tank" program. the new 3 gal. sounds like just the thing for you as is lighter to lift from ground full at the pump and put on the boat. THROW AWAY the old tanks. BUY another 3 gal. or two. The new outboard needs new, clean fuel from new clean fuel tanks. If you save my emails, look back at what I wrote about this.
            Alex lives about 50 miles south of my condo and I decided not to contact him. I do have a guy 5 miles away from Windfall's base who wants to own a 19. Hope to have him aboard soon.       What about this guy on the mac site with all these mod.s? did you read his plans? I didn't know where to start with a reply to that so I haven't. Sounds like he said he was trying to waste money on the boat. I might ask him about the "base" design flaw.

                                                                                                Yours, Capt. Randy

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2011
              Saw the mechanic who's working on my engines.  The Yamaha has electric trim & Tilt but no tiller so I'll jury rig the rudders to the engine so that the engine turns with the rudders. One of our members has a diagram I'll use as a guide. I'll check your email about tanks.