Mainsail furling....

  • cptexploit@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2011
      Hi there Mac19 lovers!! Has anyone ever installed a mainsail furling kit to their boat? I see there are several available in the market but not sure how will they work on these smaller boats.

      I have already made a ton of changes to my Mac to make it an even better family boat. The biggest change was mounting a 30 hp on an engine mount which moves it outside the well in the cockpit. I also rigged in a helm/wheel to drive the boat and tied the motor and rudders to one singular steering system to avoid the base design flaw of reverse acting steering.

      I am always looking for ways to spend more $$ on my boat so maybe a mainsale furling kit is next!!
    • dan sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2011
        Got pics of your mods?  ( curious of the motor mount )

        What sort of roller main? Furled tp the mast or boom? I've seen both on other boats.

        To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
        From: cptexploit@...
        Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 20:00:34 +0000
        Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Mainsail furling....

        Hi there Mac19 lovers!! Has anyone ever installed a mainsail furling kit to their boat? I see there are several available in the market but not sure how will they work on these smaller boats.

        I have already made a ton of changes to my Mac to make it an even better family boat. The biggest change was mounting a 30 hp on an engine mount which moves it outside the well in the cockpit. I also rigged in a helm/wheel to drive the boat and tied the motor and rudders to one singular steering system to avoid the base design flaw of reverse acting steering.

        I am always looking for ways to spend more $$ on my boat so maybe a mainsale furling kit is next!!

      • Capt. Randy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 7:45 PM
          Hi cptexploit, We have not heard from you since your one introductory message. I was wondering what your boat's name is and how you are doing with her. I assume you tip your outboard up while sailing to cut drag and was wondering if that effects how the helm feels when you are sailing hard to windward, with the boat heeled? Also I am puzzled by your statement that wheel steering "solves the base design flaw of reverse steering". I sometimes have to use "opposite rudder" when I have a failed tack and she is moving backwards so she will fall off on the tack I want her to. But with wheel steering you would have to do the same thing so I don't think that is what you meant. please explain.
          Thanks, Capt. Randy S.V. windfall

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4 9:10 PM
            The furlers on the Chrysler 26, the Mac 26x I've sailed and all the Hobie 18's I sold when we were a Hobie dealer all worked great and are a super idea.  Only problem is putting a cover on the sail when it's furled or having to remove the sail from the furling device, which is more work than just dropping an unfurled jib.

            I have most of the parts for two different furling kits which I always planned to use on my Mac 19 but since I probably will never get around to it, I might be able to put together a reasonably priced kit for sale.

            I also have an Autohelm brand tiller autopillot and some radios for those of you who sail on larger waters.  Anyone interested, let me know and I'll compile photos, info and prices.  Mike Fortuna