subscribe to the group

  • Robert Paquette
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2011
      Hi, Everyone,
      I've had my application to subscribe to this group for quite a while.  Does anyone know the whereabouts of the moderator?  I'm quite excited on perhaps purchasing an M19, but would like to know more about it.  Luckily I'm allowed to read all the postings, but I'm not allowed to look at the photos.  Would someone get his/her attention?  Thanks.
      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2011
        sorry, I'm the moderator and to prevent spam have had to approve all memberships.  Yahoo is supposed to notify me whenever I have a pending application but either they didn't or I missed it.  Try again if I can't approve you, which I think I just did.  Welcome to the group. Where are you located and do you already have a Mac 19 or still looking.  Tell us about yourself.  There may be others near you and it's always fun to sail with another Mac 19.  Mike Fortuna

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 26, 2011
          Thanks, Mike,

          I have always been a sailor of keel boats, A Tanzer 7.5, followed by an Edel 540, and presently an Edel 665. The Edel's are great boats. But my present boat has a 1 m keel, and does not make a good trailerable boat. Not easy to launch, or retrieve. So I have been on the hunt for a replacement.

          I have become the owner of a 2007 Nissan Murano, 3.5l engine, and the vehicle has a maximum towing limit of 3 500 pounds. At first I was looking at 22 footers with shoal keels and CB, such as O'Days, Catalina, CS, Sirius, etc. But when the boat, trailer, and equipment is added up, it gets pretty close to the Murano's towing limit.

          I belong to the TSA (Trailer Sailor Association), and in a lot of our cruises, a good many of the boats are M26s. So for a while I've been toying with the idea of getting an M26 Classic. Again, even if the M26 is water ballasted, when everything is added up, it again gets up there in weight. So guess what, that leaves me with the possibility of an M19!

          I have never been on an M19, or seen one up close, other than in photos. But it does meet a lot of my criteria, such as weight, and space. So here I am on your discussion board.

          If I have one or two questions to ask, it would be what is the headroom in the M19? The second questions would be, has anyone set up any kind of galley in the cabin. Perhaps I'll have more questions to ask as I read your postings and view your photos.

          Robert, Firecracker, Edel 665

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna <angelwilliams69@...> wrote:

          > sorry, I'm the moderator and to prevent spam have had to approve all memberships.  Yahoo is supposed to notify me whenever I have a pending application but either they didn't or I missed it.  Try again if I can't approve you, which I think I just did.  Welcome to the group. Where are you located and do you already have a Mac 19 or still looking.  Tell us about yourself.  There may be others near you and it's always fun to sail with another Mac 19.  Mike Fortuna

        • Capt. Randy
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
            Welcome to our group Robert,

            The Mac 19 has a very small sink on the starboard side of the cabin mostly there so they could say it has a sink, rather limited in usefulness. Inboard and below this is the "icebox" which is un insulated and no drain but is ok for stowing galley stuff. Next to it is a similar space for a small stove. One of the covers for these "bays" doubles as a table that clamps to the compression post (under the mast) and is adjustable and useful. A real cooler is needed if you need to keep things cold very long. I have a one burner stove I use in the cockpit and seldom cook in the cabin.

            I don't have measurements of the headroom handy but I am average height and sitting in the cabin is comfortable. For a 19 foot boat the cabin is spacious. I can stand in the cabin with some protection from the rain when the hatch is all the way up.

            If you tell us where you sail and how far you would travel we might find a boat for sale for you. I am helping two others right now. Florida and Michigan. Yahoo profile is useful too. Again, welcome

            Capt. Randy

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <jrpaquette@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Mike,
            >
            > I have always been a sailor of keel boats, A Tanzer 7.5, followed by an Edel 540, and presently an Edel 665. The Edel's are great boats. But my present boat has a 1 m keel, and does not make a good trailerable boat. Not easy to launch, or retrieve. So I have been on the hunt for a replacement.
            >
            > I have become the owner of a 2007 Nissan Murano, 3.5l engine, and the vehicle has a maximum towing limit of 3 500 pounds. At first I was looking at 22 footers with shoal keels and CB, such as O'Days, Catalina, CS, Sirius, etc. But when the boat, trailer, and equipment is added up, it gets pretty close to the Murano's towing limit.
            >
            > I belong to the TSA (Trailer Sailor Association), and in a lot of our cruises, a good many of the boats are M26s. So for a while I've been toying with the idea of getting an M26 Classic. Again, even if the M26 is water ballasted, when everything is added up, it again gets up there in weight. So guess what, that leaves me with the possibility of an M19!
            >
            > I have never been on an M19, or seen one up close, other than in photos. But it does meet a lot of my criteria, such as weight, and space. So here I am on your discussion board.
            >
            > If I have one or two questions to ask, it would be what is the headroom in the M19? The second questions would be, has anyone set up any kind of galley in the cabin. Perhaps I'll have more questions to ask as I read your postings and view your photos.
            >
            > Robert, Firecracker, Edel 665
            >
            > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, mike fortuna <angelwilliams69@> wrote:
            > >
            > > sorry, I'm the moderator and to prevent spam have had to approve all memberships.  Yahoo is supposed to notify me whenever I have a pending application but either they didn't or I missed it.  Try again if I can't approve you, which I think I just did.  Welcome to the group. Where are you located and do you already have a Mac 19 or still looking.  Tell us about yourself.  There may be others near you and it's always fun to sail with another Mac 19.  Mike Fortuna

          • Robert
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
              Thanks for the welcome, Randy,

              I'm in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and sail mostly in the North Channel of Lake Huron. I usually spend at least 4 weeks up there. I keep my boat, Firecracker, Edel 665, in Blind River, Ontario. Blind River is at the west end of the North Channel. Having had no tow vehicle, the boat stayed up there year round. But now I might want to travel around with the boat, hence a more easily towed boat. I usually sail singlehand, unless I have my son or friend along. At any one time there's never more than two people on board.

              Robert
              Firecracker, Edel 665

            • henry.ning@sympatico.ca
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
                Hi Robert

                I'm in Mississauga and was thinking of selling my Mac 19. Your're welcome to come by and see it .... it's in my garage. See my website for more information on it:

                http://enidsong.net/newmac/

                Contact me at henry.ning@... and we can make arrangements if you want to come by.

                Regards,
                Henry

                To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                From: jrpaquette@...
                Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:18:02 +0000
                Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: subscribe to the group

                Thanks for the welcome, Randy,

                I'm in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and sail mostly in the North Channel of Lake Huron. I usually spend at least 4 weeks up there. I keep my boat, Firecracker, Edel 665, in Blind River, Ontario. Blind River is at the west end of the North Channel. Having had no tow vehicle, the boat stayed up there year round. But now I might want to travel around with the boat, hence a more easily towed boat. I usually sail singlehand, unless I have my son or friend along. At any one time there's never more than two people on board.

                Robert
                Firecracker, Edel 665

                --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Capt. Randy" <ourzer.bay3da@...> wrote:

                > Welcome to our group Robert,
                >
                > The Mac 19 has a very small sink on the starboard side of the cabin mostly there so they could say it has a sink, rather limited in usefulness. Inboard and below this is the "icebox" which is un insulated and no drain but is ok for stowing galley stuff. Next to it is a similar space for a small stove. One of the covers for these "bays" doubles as a table that clamps to the compression post (under the mast) and is adjustable and useful. A real cooler is needed if you need to keep things cold very long. I have a one burner stove I use in the cockpit and seldom cook in the cabin.
                >
                > I don't have measurements of the headroom handy but I am average height and sitting in the cabin is comfortable. For a 19 foot boat the cabin is spacious. I can stand in the cabin with some protection from the rain when the hatch is all the way up.
                >
                > If you tell us where you sail and how far you would travel we might find a boat for sale for you. I am helping two others right now. Florida and Michigan. Yahoo profile is useful too. Again, welcome
                >
                > Capt. Randy

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
                  Nice hearing from you, Henry,
                  It's funny, I was just thinking of sending a posting for someone on the discussion group who was local to my area. Looks like you fit the bill, Henry. thanks. I've sent you an email for further discussion.
                  Robert

                  --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, <henry.ning@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Robert
                  >
                  > I'm in Mississauga and was thinking of selling my Mac 19. Your're welcome to come by and see it .... it's in my garage. See my website for more information on it:
                  >
                  > http://enidsong.net/newmac/
                  >
                  > Contact me at henry.ning@... and we can make arrangements if you want to come by.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Henry

                • john shields
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
                    Hi I have a Mac 19 for sale you can view it on my potobucket site maccutter19 she has been cutter rigged & has the mac26m steering pedestal with a 18" SS wheel , you can also view my 26M @ phbucket on maccutter26m & thehighlander111
                    John

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 28, 2011
                      Hi, John,
                      That's an interesting photo.  Where are you located?
                      Robert, Firecracker

                      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, john shields <maccutter19@...> wrote:

                      > Hi I have a Mac 19 for sale you can view it on my potobucket site maccutter19
                      > she has been cutter rigged & has the mac26m steering pedestal with a 18" SS
                      > wheel , you can also view my 26M @ phbucket on maccutter26m & thehighlander111
                      > http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/maccutter19/Spinnaker%20maccutter19/Meaford%20Harbour/DSCN1406.jpg
                      >
                      > John

                    • john shields
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 29, 2011
                        Robert.
                        I live near Alliston ON.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 2, 2011
                          I just approved 4 new members. If for some reason you're not notified, reapply and let me know. thanks, Mike