Windfall's sea-trial ... MAN THE PUMPS

  • Capt. Randy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2011
      Everything WAS going to plan so far. We trailered the boat from Burton MI to Daytona Beach 2-28 and 3-1-2011 as planned and carefully rigged and launched her 3-2 placing in her new slip after a 3/4 mile trip under power from the boat ramp. Today after monkeying with the dock lines and visiting with my new neighbors on the dock all morning, Jim and I departed under genny and main in light wind with the ballast empty. We reached south down the inter-coastal waterway (ICW)a couple miles when Jim pointed out that the automatic bilge pump was working and not just a little, something like 80 gallons per hour. He was on the helm and I was tring not to have us over react so I have him hold course south and we started brainstorming what could be wrong. Is it the freshwater tank foreword that spilled? It is only 2 1/2 gal. no. It rained big time on the trip down, rainwater? We didn't hit anything, trailering opened a leak? She never leaked before. We could hear gurgling back by the pumps and they don't sound like that. One pump ( the 800 gph) was clearly keeping up with it but I was reluctant to interrupt a beautiful sail to go back under there and look. Finally I did. The 90 degree elbow under the engine well drain had pulled loose from the thick clear tubing in spit of the clamp. The thru hull was open to the sea, most likely from ice. Trials continue. Capt Randy