Windfall's major refit for saltwater deployment -- progress so far

  • Capt. Randy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
      Last summer while the boat was off the trailer, I replaced the wheel bearings and races, had small cracks welded in the trailer side rails at the junction of the transverse steel rods, repainted the trailer, and repaired the trailer lights wiring harness. Later, I jacked up the boat and trailer and securely blocked up the hull, removed the wheels and lowered the trailer to the garage floor so I could remove the centerboard for repairs and prep and paint the bottom with anti-fouling paint. Inside the CB trunk there were crescent shaped worn areas that I fixed with epoxy. I understand that on some boats these areas wear through into the tank and flood it. Also in the summer, I replaced the missing mainsail battens, changed the flags around and put new wind indicting ribbons at the masthead. In the fall of 2010, with the boat laid up for winter I varnished the tiller, removed the Merc outboard and had the dealer replace the water pump, prop shaft seal and drive shaft seal in the lower unit. This cost $400 but had to be done after 17 years and about 350 hours on the motor. The hard part of the refit (bottom and CB) is mostly done. Much of the rest to be done consists of things to keep her dry inside to prevent mold and mildew while she is at her permanent slip in the Halifax River (salt water) at Daytona Beach FL, hopefully available to me next fall. Has anybody else has trouble with the centerboard jamming in the up position or leaks in the ballast tank? Capt. Randy
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
        Capt. Randy
        Good job,I've got to replace my bearings this spring plus do a little grinding to remove some rust before I repaint the trailer. I've never had any problems with the CB sticking or jamming, but I have heard of others who had water leaking into the ballast tank. The last time I open the tank I replaced the rubber washers on both ends of the pivot bolt,that was 7 or 8 years ago and I check every now and then when I pull Dee Seas out and haven't filled the ballast and so far so good. Hope you get all your projects done on Windfall before launch day.
        Doug