Re: Getting my Mac19 ready (finally!)

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
      Hi jc in Puerto Rico,

      WOW! That's great to hear - I mean that you have found that your Mac19 is up to the Caribbean. Of course you live there and it would have to be up to the Caribbean, but I mean to the BVI's from Puerto Rico looks like an almost ideal setting for a small boat like the Mac19 since you're sort of island hoping? Is that right?

      How do you provision for a week or more on the boat? What have you done to stow gear, and bunk, and cook, etc.? Have you modified the factory interior to add creature comforts?

      As for me, I finally have the 50hp Merc running but I've called the Alamitos Bay Marina in Long Beach and the guest slips are all gone, but I'm hoping one will open up this next week. I need to replace the halyards still and work on the rigging and get out there to Catalina, not to mention the other Channel Islands. SO, I'll be needing to figure out how to make the cabin comfortable for being out for a week or so too; and I'm hoping you'll tell me how you've managed to do it and what works for you. The marina will have showers and such, but the boat is pretty bare and tent-like.

      Wow, If I could only drive to Florida and sail down to...where could the MAC19 manage with the right weather window at the right time of year...or would it be time to trade up. How did your Mac19 get to Puerto Rico? In a shipping container, or was it sailed?

      Brian

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "jcrodriguezzayas" <jcrodriguezzayas@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I do sail in the Ocean, more precisely, the Caribbean!!! Year round sailing to the most beautiful beaches in the world. I hadn't had any problems out in the sea, at 4-5 ft waves. With the ballast full and the center board down is pretty stable. I'm planing a trip from Puerto Rico to the BVI soon, and stay at least a week on the boat. I hope you enjoy your boat as much as I do!!
      >
      > jc
      > Puerto Rico
      > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <zen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Update: Perhaps 3 weeks ago I finished installing the GPS chartploter, fish/depth finder, replaced/upgraded the electrical system, Ezy-Stick steering,chair, etc. I stripped the boat of all rigging and extra weight, pulled the rudders, put the new 10 1/2 pitch prop on my new/used Merc. 50hp outboard. I was all set to rent a slip in Long Beach, CA and motor/sail to my retired hearts content.
      > > >
      > > > I dropped the boat into a nearby fresh-water lake just to test the systems and see what might break before paying for a month's slip rental on the ocean. One minute after starting up the motor the alarm started a steady overheating scream!
      > > >
      > > > Now, three weeks later, after waiting two weeks for parts, I have the lower unit reassembled and happily return to the pre-sea-trial at the local lake. Darn! It runs in forward only, no neutral or reverse! But, I get a solid 26 MPH out of it on the glassy lake.
      > > >
      > > > Tomorrow I'll have the lower unit removed and reassembled by a local shop ($120 but done right), so I can once again have neutral and reverse. BUT..
      > > >
      > > > Now I can put the rigging back, and the rudders, tiller, etc., and have a motor SAILER again. Then it's off to the Alamitos Bay Marina in Long Beach, California; where I'll park among all those other poor sailors who can't afford a boat with a trailer (ha, ha).
      > > >
      > > > Are any of you folks nearby or sailing to Catalina or other interesting places in Southern California. Are any of you sailing at all on the ocean? Have you done any Coastal crusing?
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Brian
      > > > Nuevo, Ca

    • jcrodriguezzayas
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hi Brian,
        I bought the Mac 6 months ago and one previous owner shipped it from the states. As far as mods for my Mac I haven't done much, just enjoyed it. My plan is to island hope, spending the night at anchor and re-supplying. Not spending any night at sailing. That way you need just the minimum. The longest passage between PR and the BVIs is about 25 miles (culebra - st. thomas). The longest I stayed so far is three days out on the east keys of PR. Just need enough ice and two coolers, one for the food, one for the complimentary drinks. Keeping ice on the Caribbean with water at 85+ is kind of hard. I do my cooking on the cockpit on a Magma combo grill and a butane stove.

        I just hope you enjoy your Mac as much as I enjoy mine!