Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Getting my Mac19 ready (finally!)

  • john shields
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2010
      Hi Brian ,

      Here's she is under power

      moved up to a mac26M so she is for sale

      Cheers John ,, Enjoy

      From: Brian <zen@...>
      To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, July 28, 2010 12:32:52 PM
      Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Getting my Mac19 ready (finally!)

      Hello again to the group. I think I posted here five years ago, then disappeared.

      I bought my Mac19 five years ago and it's only been in the water twice, and the last time was over four years ago. I started buying things to make the boat suit my perceived needs as a coastal day cruiser. Then lost motivation to follow through with the installation, etc. - so it sat in my back yard, the new items in storage; and my time and energy went into survival in the workplace, being a husband, father, and just waiting until retirement.

      Well, I'm retired now, and now for the past week or two, working on the boat has taken the place of sitting around, reading books, surfing the internet, and drinking good beer. BTW the husband and father stuff is still going OK, and THANK YOU for the California State Teacher's Retirement System.

      Anyway, about the boat. Right now I'm working on the Power part of the powersailer. The Sailing part will come after I've got the power part tweaked right. I've mounted a used 50hp two stroke Mercury outboard (with planeing fins and a 10 ½ pitch prop). For steering an Ezy-Glide Steering System. I'm installing a (too large?) Raymarine A65 GPS, a Navman 4200 Fishfinder/depth/speed/fuel flow device. I've mounted a chair on a pedestal in the cockpit floor to allow one hand to control the steering and another the throttle. There's a electric sump pump going in, and I'll be upgrading the electrical panel as needed.

      For now, I've removed the mast and stays, since I won't be sailing on my initial sea trials for the motor. I want to be able to motor out to Catalina Island, about 30 miles from Long Beach/Los Angeles, and then sail, and motor back. I'm uncertain how stable of a powerboat it will be with the water ballast empty, because the center of gravity seems a bit high; so I've removed the mast for now to lower the center of gravity. I'm wondering what experience you folks have with this. How self-righting will it be as a powerboat on the ocean if waves and swells catch it broadside while planeing?

      I've had to replace and turn the water ballast gate valve sideways with the larger 50hp Merc, but I've yet to devise a way to open and close it from the cockpit. I'm considering leaving it open constantly to allow the water ballast tank to fill partially if I'm nervous about stability and capsizing under power (with the higher center of gravity and a light boat). Am I worrying needlessly, or worrying too much?

      The rudders don't clear out of the way when planeing, so I've removed them for now too. I recall some discussion here years ago about upgrading the rudders. Can I just cut them so they clear the bottom of the boat when pulled up under power? Are there better rudders out there in the marketplace?

      After I get the power part tweeked (I'm planning to rent a slip in Long Beach for a week in mid-August. Anyone going to be around there at that time? After that I'll be remounting the mast, rudders, tiller, etc to work on the sailing part. – but I'm expecting I'll need to replace all the sheets and cords, but that's another story.

      Anyway, if you read this far, thanks! I've asked a few questions of the group, and please post any advise, or whatever.

      Thanks,
      Brian Kotrich
      Nuevo, CA

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2010
        Thank you to Henry and John for their replies.

        John, I enjoyed the videos. Where's your boat located (boats)?

        Henry, I'll certainly take your advice about not running with the ballast gate valve open all the time, so thanks for the cautionary warning. Why didn't I think of using something like the boat hook to open and close it?

        All my mods are taking longer than I thought. I don't exactly spend all day working hard at it, and problems and delays crop up. I'm wondering if it will ever be in the water for a time equal to the time spend working on it and fixing it up, etc.

        Regards,

        Brian

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, <henry.ning@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > The rudders don't clear out of the way when planeing, so I've removed them for now too. I recall some discussion here years ago about upgrading the rudders. Can I just cut them so they clear the bottom of the boat when pulled up under power? Are there better rudders out there in the marketplace?
        >

        > After I get the power part tweeked (I'm planning to rent a slip in Long Beach for a week in mid-August. Anyone going to be around there at that time? After that I'll be remounting the mast, rudders, tiller, etc to work on the sailing part. – but I'm expecting I'll need to replace all the sheets and cords, but that's another story.
        >

        > Anyway, if you read this far, thanks! I've asked a few questions of the group, and please post any advise, or whatever.

      • john shields
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2010
          Brian,
          My mac26 is slipped in Meaford Harbour ON Can.  My mac19 is in inside storage until sold

> [...]

          > The rudders don't clear out of the way when planeing, so I've removed them for now too. I recall some discussion here years ago about upgrading the rudders. Can I just cut them so they clear the bottom of the boat when pulled up under power? Are there better rudders out there in the marketplace?
          >

          > After I get the power part tweeked (I'm planning to rent a slip in Long Beach for a week in mid-August. Anyone going to be around there at that time? After that I'll be remounting the mast, rudders, tiller, etc to work on the sailing part. – but I'm expecting I'll need to replace all the sheets and cords, but that's another story.
          >

          > Anyway, if you read this far, thanks! I've asked a few questions of the group, and please post any advise, or whatever.

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 14, 2010
            Update: Perhaps 3 weeks ago I finished installing the GPS chartploter, fish/depth finder, replaced/upgraded the electrical system, Ezy-Stick steering,chair, etc. I stripped the boat of all rigging and extra weight, pulled the rudders, put the new 10 1/2 pitch prop on my new/used Merc. 50hp outboard. I was all set to rent a slip in Long Beach, CA and motor/sail to my retired hearts content.

            I dropped the boat into a nearby fresh-water lake just to test the systems and see what might break before paying for a month's slip rental on the ocean. One minute after starting up the motor the alarm started a steady overheating scream!

            Now, three weeks later, after waiting two weeks for parts, I have the lower unit reassembled and happily return to the pre-sea-trial at the local lake. Darn! It runs in forward only, no neutral or reverse! But, I get a solid 26 MPH out of it on the glassy lake.

            Tomorrow I'll have the lower unit removed and reassembled by a local shop ($120 but done right), so I can once again have neutral and reverse. BUT..

            Now I can put the rigging back, and the rudders, tiller, etc., and have a motor SAILER again. Then it's off to the Alamitos Bay Marina in Long Beach, California; where I'll park among all those other poor sailors who can't afford a boat with a trailer (ha, ha).

            Are any of you folks nearby or sailing to Catalina or other interesting places in Southern California. Are any of you sailing at all on the ocean? Have you done any Coastal crusing?

            Regards,
            Brian
            Nuevo, Ca
          • Doug
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 16, 2010
              Congats Brian
              Lucky guy to live in Calif., up here in the Pacific Northwest our sailing season is almost over. I'm bringing my Mac 19 home this weekend to put her to bed for the winter.The shop that orginally fix your leg should repair the shift problem for free as it's their fault. I've done the same thing with a 9.9 Merc, when I was changing the impeller. The shifter just gets bump out of neutral when the leg is off and if not returned before you put the leg back on you will be stuck in either reverse or forward. Anyway enjoy your retirement and your Mac, I'll be retiring myself early next year.

              Doug

              --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <zen@...> wrote:

              > Update: Perhaps 3 weeks ago I finished installing the GPS chartploter, fish/depth finder, replaced/upgraded the electrical system, Ezy-Stick steering,chair, etc. I stripped the boat of all rigging and extra weight, pulled the rudders, put the new 10 1/2 pitch prop on my new/used Merc. 50hp outboard. I was all set to rent a slip in Long Beach, CA and motor/sail to my retired hearts content.
              >
              > I dropped the boat into a nearby fresh-water lake just to test the systems and see what might break before paying for a month's slip rental on the ocean. One minute after starting up the motor the alarm started a steady overheating scream!
              >
              > Now, three weeks later, after waiting two weeks for parts, I have the lower unit reassembled and happily return to the pre-sea-trial at the local lake. Darn! It runs in forward only, no neutral or reverse! But, I get a solid 26 MPH out of it on the glassy lake.
              >
              > Tomorrow I'll have the lower unit removed and reassembled by a local shop ($120 but done right), so I can once again have neutral and reverse. BUT..
              >
              > Now I can put the rigging back, and the rudders, tiller, etc., and have a motor SAILER again. Then it's off to the Alamitos Bay Marina in Long Beach, California; where I'll park among all those other poor sailors who can't afford a boat with a trailer (ha, ha).
              >
              > Are any of you folks nearby or sailing to Catalina or other interesting places in Southern California. Are any of you sailing at all on the ocean? Have you done any Coastal crusing?
              >
              > Regards,
              > Brian
              > Nuevo, Ca

            • jcrodriguezzayas
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 18, 2010
                Hi,
                I do sail in the Ocean, more precisely, the Caribbean!!! Year round sailing to the most beautiful beaches in the world. I hadn't had any problems out in the sea, at 4-5 ft waves. With the ballast full and the center board down is pretty stable. I'm planing a trip from Puerto Rico to the BVI soon, and stay at least a week on the boat. I hope you enjoy your boat as much as I do!!

                jc
                Puerto Rico
                > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <zen@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Update: Perhaps 3 weeks ago I finished installing the GPS chartploter, fish/depth finder, replaced/upgraded the electrical system, Ezy-Stick steering,chair, etc. I stripped the boat of all rigging and extra weight, pulled the rudders, put the new 10 1/2 pitch prop on my new/used Merc. 50hp outboard. I was all set to rent a slip in Long Beach, CA and motor/sail to my retired hearts content.
                > >
                > > I dropped the boat into a nearby fresh-water lake just to test the systems and see what might break before paying for a month's slip rental on the ocean. One minute after starting up the motor the alarm started a steady overheating scream!
                > >
                > > Now, three weeks later, after waiting two weeks for parts, I have the lower unit reassembled and happily return to the pre-sea-trial at the local lake. Darn! It runs in forward only, no neutral or reverse! But, I get a solid 26 MPH out of it on the glassy lake.
                > >
                > > Tomorrow I'll have the lower unit removed and reassembled by a local shop ($120 but done right), so I can once again have neutral and reverse. BUT..
                > >
                > > Now I can put the rigging back, and the rudders, tiller, etc., and have a motor SAILER again. Then it's off to the Alamitos Bay Marina in Long Beach, California; where I'll park among all those other poor sailors who can't afford a boat with a trailer (ha, ha).
                > >
                > > Are any of you folks nearby or sailing to Catalina or other interesting places in Southern California. Are any of you sailing at all on the ocean? Have you done any Coastal crusing?
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Brian
                > > Nuevo, Ca

              • Brian
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 19, 2010
                  Hi jc in Puerto Rico,

                  WOW! That's great to hear - I mean that you have found that your Mac19 is up to the Caribbean. Of course you live there and it would have to be up to the Caribbean, but I mean to the BVI's from Puerto Rico looks like an almost ideal setting for a small boat like the Mac19 since you're sort of island hoping? Is that right?

                  How do you provision for a week or more on the boat? What have you done to stow gear, and bunk, and cook, etc.? Have you modified the factory interior to add creature comforts?

                  As for me, I finally have the 50hp Merc running but I've called the Alamitos Bay Marina in Long Beach and the guest slips are all gone, but I'm hoping one will open up this next week. I need to replace the halyards still and work on the rigging and get out there to Catalina, not to mention the other Channel Islands. SO, I'll be needing to figure out how to make the cabin comfortable for being out for a week or so too; and I'm hoping you'll tell me how you've managed to do it and what works for you. The marina will have showers and such, but the boat is pretty bare and tent-like.

                  Wow, If I could only drive to Florida and sail down to...where could the MAC19 manage with the right weather window at the right time of year...or would it be time to trade up. How did your Mac19 get to Puerto Rico? In a shipping container, or was it sailed?

                  Brian

                  --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "jcrodriguezzayas" <jcrodriguezzayas@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > I do sail in the Ocean, more precisely, the Caribbean!!! Year round sailing to the most beautiful beaches in the world. I hadn't had any problems out in the sea, at 4-5 ft waves. With the ballast full and the center board down is pretty stable. I'm planing a trip from Puerto Rico to the BVI soon, and stay at least a week on the boat. I hope you enjoy your boat as much as I do!!
                  >
                  > jc
                  > Puerto Rico
                  > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <zen@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Update: Perhaps 3 weeks ago I finished installing the GPS chartploter, fish/depth finder, replaced/upgraded the electrical system, Ezy-Stick steering,chair, etc. I stripped the boat of all rigging and extra weight, pulled the rudders, put the new 10 1/2 pitch prop on my new/used Merc. 50hp outboard. I was all set to rent a slip in Long Beach, CA and motor/sail to my retired hearts content.
                  > > >
                  > > > I dropped the boat into a nearby fresh-water lake just to test the systems and see what might break before paying for a month's slip rental on the ocean. One minute after starting up the motor the alarm started a steady overheating scream!
                  > > >
                  > > > Now, three weeks later, after waiting two weeks for parts, I have the lower unit reassembled and happily return to the pre-sea-trial at the local lake. Darn! It runs in forward only, no neutral or reverse! But, I get a solid 26 MPH out of it on the glassy lake.
                  > > >
                  > > > Tomorrow I'll have the lower unit removed and reassembled by a local shop ($120 but done right), so I can once again have neutral and reverse. BUT..
                  > > >
                  > > > Now I can put the rigging back, and the rudders, tiller, etc., and have a motor SAILER again. Then it's off to the Alamitos Bay Marina in Long Beach, California; where I'll park among all those other poor sailors who can't afford a boat with a trailer (ha, ha).
                  > > >
                  > > > Are any of you folks nearby or sailing to Catalina or other interesting places in Southern California. Are any of you sailing at all on the ocean? Have you done any Coastal crusing?
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards,
                  > > > Brian
                  > > > Nuevo, Ca

                • jcrodriguezzayas
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                    Hi Brian,
                    I bought the Mac 6 months ago and one previous owner shipped it from the states. As far as mods for my Mac I haven't done much, just enjoyed it. My plan is to island hope, spending the night at anchor and re-supplying. Not spending any night at sailing. That way you need just the minimum. The longest passage between PR and the BVIs is about 25 miles (culebra - st. thomas). The longest I stayed so far is three days out on the east keys of PR. Just need enough ice and two coolers, one for the food, one for the complimentary drinks. Keeping ice on the Caribbean with water at 85+ is kind of hard. I do my cooking on the cockpit on a Magma combo grill and a butane stove.

                    I just hope you enjoy your Mac as much as I enjoy mine!