Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Johnson 40 fuel consumption

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 22 11:31 PM
      Jose,

      Mine get about 3 MPG in 2-4 seas doing about 15MPH.  I do not believe you are getting up on a plane at 10MPH which might explain your lower MPG.  I have the 40 HP Tohatsu with the factory propeller.

      Ron

      “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
      Charlotte Bronte from Jane Eyre                   Click here to visit the family web site...

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 25 11:09 PM
        I bought some inexpensive plastic fins that bolted on to the plate above the prop and it seems like it makes it much easier to get up on a plane. I never have found the ideal prop pitch.  40 hp motors usually come with a 19 pitch prop which is too high. I've tried as low as a 9 pitch and am currently using a 13 pitch. Waves, a dirty hull, opposing wind or current and any extra boat weight will reduce  the maximum speed and/or increase gas consumption.  I still get a kick out of the original brochure and video claiming 24 mph.  New optimally tuned and propped engine, minimum load including maybe one gallon of gas and some 90 pound or less captain! 18 mph by GPS is the best speed I've ever gotten with gas, another person on the boat, miscellaneous accessories, etc. There's probably some optimum slow speed for gas mileage which decreases until you plane then decreases as speed above planing increases.  On the other hand, unless you're motoring a LOT, gas cost compared to all your costs is minor.

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/macgregor1 9sailboats/ join
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            macgregor19sailboat s-digest@ yahoogroups. com
            macgregor19sailboat s-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

            http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

      • jcrodriguezzayas
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 27 8:16 PM
          Thanks for your advice! I don't believe I'm planing either. I read that a 4 blade 8-9 pitch will get the boat on a plane a lot easier. I think my 15 pitch is to high since the motor doesn't sound to high on rpm. My concern about the fuel is that I carry 12 gallons and I want to make a passage of 20 miles (fajardo-culebra). At my current MPG would barely make it; although I can sail it, I want to make sure I have enough fuel for motoring.

          Regards,
          jc

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 27 9:05 PM
            You should see if you can get a marine tach to check rpm.  I think your motor should be running at about 4400 rpm max which would be determined by the prop as well as boat weight etc.  I tried a 9 pitch prop and it was too low.  Never did get a consensus of our owners but I still think around a 13 pitch is optimum.  You can get a prop repitched a few numbers if you get a deal on a used one or find one on ebay.  Some marine dealers have rebuilt props available for sale, cheaper than new.

            One way to carry extra fuel would be to mount a swim platform on the rear of the boat to carry a 3rd tank. I recall some discussion about 9 gal. tanks to replace the standard 6 gal and still fit under the seat?   Or you could strap a tank on the front deck rather than have it in the cockpit or the cabin.  good luck.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28 6:00 AM
              Mike,

              The Tempo "9gas" fits, but Tempo went out of business and they are hard to find.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 28 6:50 AM
                What about the Moeller 9 gallon tank?  A bit expensive new and may be too big to fit under the seat but here's a link I found:

                http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info-gallon-portable-fuel-tank

                Product # 031109

                Product Dimension: 29.50"Lx13.75"Wx10.00"H
                $64.56   If it fits, they may have local distributors or shipping may be less than sales tax.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 28 4:04 PM
                  Hi to all,

                  The Moeller 9 gallon would be too long.  According to an old catalog, the Tempo "9gas" is  20"X14.25X10.25 and it really fills up the space.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 28 5:24 PM
                    Tempo still makes what they call a 9GAS tank but it only holds 7.5 gals!  I think the evinrude tanks are 6.5 gal so not much gained.  You're right about the dimensions:  20" L x 14-1/4" W x 10-1/4" H

                  • henry.ning@sympatico.ca
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 28 5:29 PM
                      I have the Tempo and I can verify that it fits perfectly in the Mac 19.

                      Regards,
                      Henry

                      To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com

                    • henry.ning@sympatico.ca
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 28 5:45 PM
                        Be careful with the units here .... the tank holds 9 U.S. Gallons or 7.5 Imperial Gallons.

                        Regards,
                        Henry

                        To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                        From: angelwilliams69@...
                        Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:24:38 -0700

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 28 6:45 PM
                          Here's their web site showing 7.5 gals,  28.4 liters.  Has anyone ever put 9 U.S. gallons into a tank that fits under the seat?

                          To: macgregor19sailboat s@yahoogroups. com
                          From: angelwilliams69@ yahoo.com
                          Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:24:38 -0700