Trolling motor mount

  • Michael F
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2010
      Has anyone ever mounted a trolling motor at the rear of your Mac 19? I have a 40hp Evinrude and there's enough space to squeeze it in between the motor. I'm thinking of making something that bolts through the engine mounting bolts and sticks up above the transom like a hokey looking 2 x4 but thought I'd copy a better idea. Walmart.com has a 50 ft lb MinnKota for under $200 with 90 day return arrangement and fast shipping to the house for only $.97! Beats waiting in the store for free ship to store or paying more elsewhere. Several web sites say it should drive the boat at about 3 mph, which is fine for leaving and returning to dock or emergency backup if the gas engine misbehaves, which it's been doing lately. Not to mention quieter.
    • dee_seas
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2010
        I added a trolling motor mount to the starboard side stern. It does involve drilling 4 holes in the boat, removing some styrofoam, sliding as large a piece of backing plate ( ie. plywood or aluminum plate )up through the starboard bilge access under the rear berth, run bolts through mount and backing plate, tighten nuts with lock washers and that's it. I do remove the trolling motor when towing.
        Doug

        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2010
          T,hanks I have a swim platform I was planning to add to the boat with a similar installation procedure that you followed.  I noticed my motor is mounte off center with more space on the port side so I'm experimenting with a 2 x 4 bolted around the transom in the space on the port side of the engine.  If it works I won't have to drill any holes.  Otherwise I may have to do what you did.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2010
            Good luck, let us know how it works out.
            Doug