Re: [macgregor19sailboats] towing skiers

  • star747@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2009
      Dan,
      Mac 19 is sailboat !!!!
      70 HP what are you talking about !!
      If you need boat for towing, you have to buy powerboat !!
      My best regards
      Alex

      Mac 10----- Original Message -----
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20, 2009
        I believe there were several Mac 19's encountered with large motors, even a 90 hp which probably makes the bow raise up unless there's some extra weight up front. Getting a bigger motor to fit into the motor well and still maneuver may be a problem and I believe some were using an extension box structure to move the motor back or you'd have to just depend on the boat rudders more. Besides going on diets, another alternative is just to use bigger skiis. Cypress Gardens used to do a ski show towing an elephant. Of course the "skiis" were more like a barge but it was as amusing as seeing the squirrel on water skiis.

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "SarniaAikido" <sarniaaikido@...> wrote:

        > I was reading a post about towing mid-sized adults ... could I get some replies about weight that could be towed ....
        > My wife and I are not smaller sized ... Im 250 lbs and my children are adults, would it be possable to tow adult skiers and what equipment would be needed ... i like the new posts about the new 70 horse any advice or links would be appricated
        > tia
        > Dan

      • SarniaAikido
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2009
          OK Ill get a power boat ... that should keep my first mate happy she wants to skii ... also should be hard on the old back pocket ... but you make my point ... i want too sail ... this why I keep leaning to the elusive Mac 19
          Thanks for all replys
          I stand corrected and thank the moderator
          Dan
          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, <star747@...> wrote:

          > Dan,
          > Mac 19 is sailboat !!!!
          > 70 HP what are you talking about !!
          > If you need boat for towing, you have to buy powerboat !!
          > My best regards
          > Alex
          >

          > Mac 10----- Original Message -----

        • dee_seas
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2009
            Hi Dan
            We use our Mac 19 mostly for fishing but every now and then we will ski. My 16 year old 40 hp Tohatsu still pulls me up and I weigh 205lbs. Last summer I got my son-in-law up and he weighs about 250lbs. but it took a bit of work as the spotter had to slide all the way to the bottom of the v-berth to get the bow down on plane.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 23, 2009
              Aside from the easy solution of using BIG skiis or wakeboard, how about this for a way to get more speed.  Just saw this local ad.  Even if you threw away the boat and trailer, the engine is still a good deal if it fits and it looks narrow in photos:

              Glastron Ski boat with rebuilt 115 hp Mercury outboard. Installed canopy and extra's. Clear title. Motor rebuilt 2004, very low hours. Gear case rebuilt and resealed 2006. Carb's & fuel pump rebuilt 2009. All maintenance records. compression 125 to 130. Ready for the Lake. .Only $1500 or may take offers!!