Problems with O/B intallation

  • georgem1952
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2009
      I just bought a new Mercury 30 HP 4 stroke outboard for my '92 Mac 19, which I bought a few months ago. The O/B was installed by the Mercury dealer and they mounted the O/B were the bracket is about 2 1/2 inches above the stern. The dealer explained that the anti-ventilation plate has to be within an inch of the bottom of the boat therefore they had to raise it for this purpose. The dealer said if the motor was lowered to where the bracket sits on the stern and the anti-ventilation plate is three inches deeper, this would affect the performance to the point where the boat would only travel at 3MPH.

      Am I missing something here? The original O/B that came with the boat, a Tohatsu 40 HP, sat on the stern and the anti-ventilation plate was well bellow the bottom of the boat.

      In addition to this, the new O/B does not clear the rudder brackets when the motor is raised.
      if the O/B were lowered onto the stern, this would not be an issue.

      Which is correct?
    • sailhard1964
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
        That dealer is nuts.

        I would call macgregor and get their opinion.

        How much extra did the "bracket" cost?

        ds

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "georgem1952" <gmartin@...> wrote:

        > I just bought a new Mercury 30 HP 4 stroke outboard for my '92 Mac 19, which I bought a few months ago. The O/B was installed by the Mercury dealer and they mounted the O/B were the bracket is about 2 1/2 inches above the stern. The dealer explained that the anti-ventilation plate has to be within an inch of the bottom of the boat therefore they had to raise it for this purpose. The dealer said if the motor was lowered to where the bracket sits on the stern and the anti-ventilation plate is three inches deeper, this would affect the performance to the point where the boat would only travel at 3MPH.
        >
        > Am I missing something here? The original O/B that came with the boat, a Tohatsu 40 HP, sat on the stern and the anti-ventilation plate was well bellow the bottom of the boat.
        >
        > In addition to this, the new O/B does not clear the rudder brackets when the motor is raised.
        > if the O/B were lowered onto the stern, this would not be an issue.
        >
        > Which is correct?

      • sailhard1964
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
          For what it's worth I just looked at my tohatsu m40c manual and they clearly state the cavitation plate should be 1.5" to 2" Below THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT.

          http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh40C.pdf

          It would be SUPER ANNOYING not to be able to put up the motor.

          ds