Drift Around The Lake, Not!

  • Ken Abrahams
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2009
    The following took place yesterday on Lake Charles.  This was my secont time to race the Mac 19.  I have my small jib installed now and this was the first time to try it.  I still have a little adjustment to do, but it worked ok.  The 19 handled fine in the blow even though I was solo.
    Ken A

    -0-

    The course was to be Start, G, complete two circles of the lake to G, then to the finish line.  Winds were light.  There was a dark cloud to the South.

    A lot of boats started and made their way through the course.  When the lead boats got to C mark, the winds went from 'light' to 'STRONG' in about a minute.  Solid white caps everywhere.  I was on a reach after passing H and A marks.  I reefed the roller jib and experienced a quick ride to B.  After B, I tried to go close hauled but couldn't make any progress, nor could I tack.  Looking around, I saw at least half the fleet capsized.  I lowered my sails and started to offer help.  By this time everyone was back upright or was being attended to and John Kalna had the rescue boat to help.  The Race was officially abandoned.

    We all went in.  No one was injured and there was no, or little, boat damage.  But, we will have stories to tell.

    A few more pictures coming next.

    Ken Abrahams