1992 Mac19

  • georgem1952
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009
      I bought a 1992 model that has the 3/4 rig, rotating mast, and only
      two side stays. I was wondering if anyone out there with a similar set-
      up has any opinions about this. I've read that the rotating mast was
      not successful therefore it was changed in the later models. How bad
      is it? Is there a need to add a backstay and two additional sidestays?
      The reason I am asking is because I've had the boat in storage for a
      couple of months and because of work demands have been unable to get
      it out and experiment. I will be retiring at the end of march and I am
      looking ahead to see if I should make some modifications. I would
      like to get some feedback to see what others think. Thanks. Mac 19 in
      San Pedro, Ca.
    • Paul Russell Zimmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "georgem1952" <gmartin@...> wrote:

        > I bought a 1992 model that has the 3/4 rig, rotating mast, and only
        > two side stays. I was wondering if anyone out there with a similar set-
        > up has any opinions about this. I've read that the rotating mast was
        > not successful therefore it was changed in the later models. How bad
        > is it? Is there a need to add a backstay and two additional sidestays?
        > The reason I am asking is because I've had the boat in storage for a
        > couple of months and because of work demands have been unable to get
        > it out and experiment. I will be retiring at the end of march and I am
        > looking ahead to see if I should make some modifications. I would
        > like to get some feedback to see what others think. Thanks. Mac 19 in
        > San Pedro, Ca.

        Hi,

        We should stay in touch, as I also have a newly-acquired 1992 with 3/4 rig. According to the previous owner (who heard it from the owner before him), mine was converted from a rotating mast to a fixed mast to make it simpler to set up, but could be converted back. Next time I have the boat out (probably this weekend), I'll take a picture of the mast footing and send it to you. I'd like to know how it differs from yours.

        The previous owner also said he called Macgregor and talked to them about the 3/4 rig and lack of backstay. They said it was fine to leave it that way, so long as you had the batten sails (which I have).

        I'm not a very experienced sailor, but it sure seemed to sail fine for us last weekend.

        Paul Zimmer
      • georgem1952
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2009
          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Russell Zimmer" <paulzimmer@...> wrote:

          > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "georgem1952" <gmartin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I bought a 1992 model that has the 3/4 rig, rotating mast, and only
          > > two side stays. I was wondering if anyone out there with a similar set-
          > > up has any opinions about this. I've read that the rotating mast was
          > > not successful therefore it was changed in the later models. How bad
          > > is it? Is there a need to add a backstay and two additional sidestays?
          > > The reason I am asking is because I've had the boat in storage for a
          > > couple of months and because of work demands have been unable to get
          > > it out and experiment. I will be retiring at the end of march and I am
          > > looking ahead to see if I should make some modifications. I would
          > > like to get some feedback to see what others think. Thanks. Mac 19 in
          > > San Pedro, Ca.
          > >
          > Hi,
          >
          > We should stay in touch, as I also have a newly-acquired 1992 with 3/4 rig. According to the previous owner (who heard it from the owner before him), mine was converted from a rotating mast to a fixed mast to make it simpler to set up, but could be converted back. Next time I have the boat out (probably this weekend), I'll take a picture of the mast footing and send it to you. I'd like to know how it differs from yours.
          >
          > The previous owner also said he called Macgregor and talked to them about the 3/4 rig and lack of backstay. They said it was fine to leave it that way, so long as you had the batten sails (which I have).
          >
          > I'm not a very experienced sailor, but it sure seemed to sail fine for us last weekend.
          >
          > Paul Zimmer

          Sounds good Paul,

          I will send you some pix as well. I spoke with a Macgregor rep at the 2009 L.A, boat show and he said that the rotating mast system was okay for lighter winds. I expressed my cioncern that the boat did not have the two additional lower and back stays. He said it was fine. Although he did try to talk me into buying a new 26M. What a beaut. I just brought the boat home from storage about two weeks ago and i just am starting to work on her. It will be acouple more weeks before I get to launch. I got some work to do on the trailer and lights, ad adding baby stays, etc.

          I'll talking to you.

          George Martinez
        • Paul Russell Zimmer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
            I posted the picture of my mast post in the Photos section under Zimmer. I'm curious what it looked like (and how it worked) before the conversion.

            Paul Zimmer