Re: Centerboard cable replacement.

  • John Shields
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20 8:05 PM
      Yes it can be done it is a tight space but possible In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "sailhard1964" <sailhard@...> wrote:

      > During bottompainting on a lift, my centerboard cable crimp at the centerboard end fell apart.
      >
      > However, I actually have a "real" factory mac 19 pulley/cable assembly.
      >
      > I've read all the docs here on this cable replacement procedure, jacking the boat on the trailer and removing the centerboard completely to get it done....
      >
      > BUT I was wondering if it's possible to get to the nut and bolt ( I think that's what it is ) that connects the cable loop to the centerboard just from the bottom of the boat on the trailer...
      > Maybe with some small open end wrenches?
      >
      > I assume I can connect a line to the old cable, pull it inside and use that line to run the new cable back down....
      >
      > I haven't looked at it yet and the boat yard guys are too busy.
      >
      > Any info would be helpful.
      >
      > thanks!

    • sailhard1964
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21 9:51 AM
        Thanks!

        I also ed it out and I think mini vicegrips and small open end wrench will fit. We'll see if the stock centerboard cables are any good...

        The boat yard guys assured me it's impossible but they are barely breathing...I noticed they missed a big spot of bottom paint on the centerboard....I wish I did not un-seal my water tank ports on their advice.