Tahatsu 40 hp

  • Ken Abrahams
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2009
      Last winter I reported a problem with my motor. It would start and run fine for a while, then it would start missing at high speed.
      It did this every time I went out. Also, along with the missfire, I heard a buzzing that sounded like an air leak.

      The other day I ran the engine at the dock for a long while. When I first turned the key on, before starting, I heard the buzzing. My cousin was with me and told me that the buzzing was the warning alert.
      (I learned quite a bit right there.) I added oil to the reservoir and cranked the engine. I ran it for 10 or 15 minutes and the buzzing started again and it started missing.

      I brought it to my favorite motor shop to have it checked out. His first thought was there was a cooling problem and heat sensors were giving an alarm. The engine partially shuts down when this happens. After checking it out, he thinks the cooling system is ok but he found that the oil reservoir leaks. The oil drains out and I get the low oil warning. There is a week delivery time on the new reservoir. I'll let you know the results.

      Ken Abrahams, Lake Charles, La
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2009
        Ken,

        Mine leaks around the oil sensor plug in the side of the oil tank.  Where is your leak?

        “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
        Charlotte Bronte from Jane Eyre

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:macgregor19sailboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:macgregor19sailboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ken Abrahams
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2009

          Not sure where it leaks but must be near the bottom.

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/macgregor1 9sailboats/ join
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:macgregor19sailboat s-digest@ yahoogroups. com
              mailto:macgregor19sailboat s-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • Paul Zimmer

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2009
              IF the oil reservoir mixes oil with gas and isn't working right, you can always disconnect it and just use oil/gas mix.  I have an Evinrude 40 hp with a reservoir system that was never connected.  I never trusted it and thought if it malfunctioned, there goes the engine.  Of course if you forget to add oil to your gas, you could have the same problem.

              Mine currently seems to have a plugged low speed carb jet.  It starts and runs at higher speeds but stalls at anywhere near idle.  We're in Arizona where the heat and humidity are a problem for most gas engines.  If you keep gas in the tank &/or engine for very long, it dries out and leaves gummy deposits, plugs jets, etc.  Sometimes fuel additives/cleaners help but usually it requires disassembly and cleaning.  Good luck with yours.  Mike

              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2009
                Mixing the oil in the gas is my back up position.  The shop wanted to know if I wanted to do that but I went with the replacemsnt tank.  I'll keep you posted.
                Ken