RE: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: M-19 Sunk

  • Tom Garmon
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 10 7:28 AM
      Message
      ----Further exploring where the water came in to swamp the 19'. Does anybody know what the two holes are in the stern just above the wateline and just inboard of the rudders? I'm still working on my boat since I've purchased it and haven't had it in the water yet. I uploaded a photo (that I found, not my boat) of them to the photo album "M 19 shorts etc add anything you want". Anybody got any ideas?

      Tom
      '92 19'
      Northeast Ohio
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 10 7:47 AM
        Tom,
        I was wondering the same thing? Anyone figured out
        how the back end of the Mac 19 is built. I was going
        to look into it, but never did. (It is low on my list
        of things to do.)

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=255131.3358918.4715059.3294649/D=egroupweb/S=1705

        065792:HM/A=1627012/R=0/SIG=111br2r2b/*http://www.boatcoversdirect.com>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=255131.3358918.4715059.3294649/D=egrou
        > pmail/S=:HM/A=1627012/rand=680847496>

        > Terms of Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Tom Garmon
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 10 8:19 AM
          Message
          Ron,

          I know......It just seems to me that a hole in the hull has one of two purposes......to let water/air in.....or let water/air out. Since I see no holes to drain the cockpit lockers, (they drain though the notch in the bottom center to the motor well) I 'THINK' that the have to lead to the rudder post cavity in the hull. Although I can't see in there. Could these be the culprits?

          Tom
          '92 19'
          Northeast Ohio
          --- Tom Garmon <tomg@...> wrote:
          > ----Further exploring where the water came in to
          > swamp the 19'. Does
          > anybody know what the two holes are in the stern
          > just above the wateline
          > and just inboard of the rudders? I'm still working
          > on my boat since I've
          > purchased it and haven't had it in the water yet. I
          > uploaded a photo
          > (that I found, not my boat) of them to the photo
          > album "M 19 shorts etc
          > add anything you want". Anybody got any ideas?

          > Tom
          > '92 19'
          > Northeast Ohio

        • angela michele
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 10 10:18 PM
            Funny, the same question came up yesterday when we
            were out sailing with Randy Zerbe who explained that
            they drain the small compartment around the rudder
            tubes. They shouldn't leak into the hull unless
            there's a crack. You could probably fill them with
            water by pressing a garden hose against them and
            seeing if you get water into the hull. I've also
            filled the bilges with water to see if any leaked out
            and done the same with the ballast tank. It did have
            some leaks around the two bolts for the centerboard
            and we've already previously discussed access to them
            for resealing.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com