Furler or Not

  • Ken Abrahams
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 28, 2009
      I am seriously considering adding a CDI FF2 furler to my 19. Probably
      put the Genoa on it. A few questions:

      Do the jib sheets for the genoa go outside the side stays? Mine have
      turning blocks and I am only guessing how to set it up. Will the
      sheets work properly with a furler? Suggestions?

      Do furlers work ok on the 19? What things should I consider?

      Is there plenty of room on the foredeck for the furler drum?

      Anything else?

      Who has the best price on CDI furlers?

      Thanks,
      Ken Abrahams, Lake Charles, La
    • Richard Norman
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 28, 2009
        I have a CDI FF2 on my Mac19 - it works fine with the standard jib.  I have a furling genow from another boat but have not tried it on the 19 yet.  Will probably do so this spring and use the turning blocks as described in the Mac19 manual.

        There is plenty of room for the furling drum.
        --
        Richard Norman
        1973 Catalina 22 SK

        1993 Mac 19
        2001 Stevenson Weekender

        On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Ken Abrahams <kabrahams@...> wrote:

        I am seriously considering adding a CDI FF2 furler to my 19. Probably
        put the Genoa on it. A few questions:

        Do the jib sheets for the genoa go outside the side stays? Mine have
        turning blocks and I am only guessing how to set it up. Will the
        sheets work properly with a furler? Suggestions?

        Do furlers work ok on the 19? What things should I consider?

        Is there plenty of room on the foredeck for the furler drum?

        Anything else?

        Who has the best price on CDI furlers?

        Thanks,
        Ken Abrahams, Lake Charles, La

      • Dixon, Richard
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
          Hey Ken, I'm in Covington and have been considering a 19 for a while and have a few questions if you don't mind.
           How does it handle under power vs a traditional runabout
           I would use it 50/50 fishing marsh/coastal rigs to about 10miles offshore and sailing lake Pontchatrain/Destin area.
           thanks in advance

          Richard Dixon
          Financial Analyst
          Chevron -Gulf of Mexico BU
          Covington  rm 3129 phone 985-773-6547

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
            one more thing, will the 19 really fit in a standard garage?

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
              Richard,

              Width and height are not a problem, but length is.  It is long.  So measure the garage and compare it to the boat/trailer length.

              Ron

              “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
              Charlotte Bronte from Jane Eyre

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                Hi Richard,
                I wish I could tell you more but I have only used my 19 twice.  Then winter set in and I'm in the process of eye surgery.  So far I think the boat does a reasonable job of sailing and powering.  It might take a while to get used to tiller steering at high speed, though.  I haven't been in anything but small lake conditions with little wind, so I have no experience otherwise in this boat.  If it is anything like the other MacGregors I have had, it should do fine.
                Maybe some others on the list can tell you more.  So far I would say 'GO FOR IT".  Geaux Tigers.

                Ken Abrahams

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                  I forgot, my boat stays at the Lake Charles Yacht Club on a trailer with the mast up, ready to use.  I have not tried to garage it.
                  Ken

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                      The mast comes in two pieces, designed to be stored inside the boat when garaging since it's longer than most garages.  Fastening the two pieces together permanently makes the mast stronger but defeats that feature.  However if you're going to remove the mast and stays from the boat anyway for storage, you may be able to hang the mast diagonally from your garage roof or leave it outside.  I store mine outside.  However the Arizona sun turned the shroud covers black and hard in no time and now I'm thinking of stripping the covers off the shrouds and just using after market shroud covers or just getting new stays(cables that hold up the mast, if you're not a sailor).  .

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                        I haven't been able to locate the sheeting arrangement for the Genoa in the on-line manual.  Can you lead me to it?

                        About the furler,  do you find that the std. jib is enough sail?  If you want to use the genoa, can it be used with the small jib in place on the furler?  (Where do you hank the genoa jib to the forestay with a furled jib or do you free-fly it?)

                        Thanks,
                        Ken A

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                          Ken,

                          There is an metal pad eye (strap eye) one each side of the cockpit on top of the gunnels (top of the boat).  Install a 2" block into each of these.  For each side, bring a sheet (control line) back from the genoa, outside the shouds, thru the block and back up to the wench.

                          I personally like to add a bock to the fairleads (for the normal jib sheets) and take the genoa sheets thru these blocks before going to the winch.

                          This all goes much faster if you add swivel snap shackles to each of the blocks.

                          I would also suggest putting a stopper knot in each sheet before using.

                          Ron

                          “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
                          Charlotte Bronte from Jane Eyre

                        • tgreen55402
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 30, 2009
                            Our 19 came with a CDI furler and it works great. The Genoa sheets go
                            outside the shrouds (side stays), back to turning blocks on the
                            cockpit coamings and then forward to the winches. There is plenty of
                            room on the deck for the drum. Make sure your forestay turnbuckle has
                            cotter pins in it, or the furler will eventually unscrew it and the
                            mast will come down. Good luck!
                            Tony Green
                            Minneapolis, MN

                            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Abrahams"

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 30, 2009
                              Thanks Ron,
                              That's about what I figured out.  The blocks I have include the snap shackles.  To get the sheets into the cleat, I presume they go around the winch for a 180 turn.
                              I'll be well enough from my surgery in another week or so and I'm ready to go sailing again.  I think I'll hold off on the furler until I play with the jibs some more.  I have the fore hatch but have not installed it yet.  Maybe that will be my first project.
                              Ken A

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 31, 2009
                                Hi All

                                Here's a link to my photobucket site
                                My mac19 is cutter rigged with a 28ft mast second set of spreaders & a set of jumper struts two forestays & furlers  5 sets of shrouds a 4ft walk on bowsprit with bow seat wheel steering with a mac26m pedestal & 20" wheel you are welcome to view all my mods & video's at this site  enjoy
                                Highlander

[...]

                                  Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!