Re: Problems with motor at high speed

  • bramblehedger
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Buckles"
      <ronbuckles@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      >
      > Tooling home yesterday with my Tohatsu M40D (40HP) wide open when
      all a
      > once it started switching off and on (full power to no power and
      back)
      > about 2 twice a second. Dramatic to say the least. I back off on
      the
      > power and it worked OK at about half power, but anything above
      that and
      > it would start the on/off oscillation again. Anyone seen this
      before?

      > Thanks,
      > Ron

      Most likely fuel starvation. I found the little non-return valve
      ball in the fuel line bulb had come dislodged and was blocking the
      bulb outlet. This only happened at full throttle and not at lower
      revs and when the bulb was lying with the outlet lower than the
      inlet. You can check this out by feeling or shaking the bulb and if
      you set it vertically with the outlet uppermost it will allow fuel
      to be drawn through at full revs. My engine died completely when
      this happened and it took a little time to realise what had happened.