Centerboard Question

  • bestkidspa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2008
      I took my 19 out yesterday for the first time and was generally
      satisfied with how she performed. Two issues cropped up that I need
      to address.

      First, when the wind picks up and she begins to heel heavily, she
      rounds up into the wind. No amount of tiller can keep her on tack.
      Sometimes even in lighter air she wasn't very responsive, but it was
      really bad in heavier wind. I'm thinking there is not enough
      centerboard to maintain heading, and maybe it is because the
      centerboard is pushing back into the trunk when she moves fast. I
      don't know what kind of weight these board have. Is this rounding up
      common in the 19 and is there anything that helps?

      Second, the centerboard line does nothing. When the board drops, the
      rope doesn't go out, and you can't pull the rope because it is at
      its end. But, I went over the side and the centerboard is swinging
      down freely, at least in the 3.5 feet of water I was in at the time.
      My question is, if I pop off the inspection plates to try and
      reattach what appears to be an errant line, how far does the
      centerboard need to drop so I can reach the attachment point. That
      is to say, how high must I raise this boat off the trailer to free
      the board so I can reach the attachment point?

      Thanks

      Mike
    • sailhard1964
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
        There is a link to replacing the centerboard cable here

        http://www.dougpile.com/mac19/mods.html

        Swing-keel boats sail sort of like big windsurfers. To much force on
        the rudders with the board down and they spin out and you slide
        sideways. You only want the board fully down sailing upwind. At right
        angles and off the wind pull it up 1/2 way so it's back about 45*.
        That will take some of the stress of the rudders and make you go
        faster. If it's gusting over 20 reef the main..the boat goes much
        faster and tips less. I ran my centerboard line back to the cockpit,
        as I only sail single handed.

        I very rarely tack...the 19 prefers to jibe...

        good luck.

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bestkidspa"
        <jmiketyler@...> wrote:

        > I took my 19 out yesterday for the first time and was generally
        > satisfied with how she performed. Two issues cropped up that I need
        > to address.
        >
        > First, when the wind picks up and she begins to heel heavily, she
        > rounds up into the wind. No amount of tiller can keep her on tack.
        > Sometimes even in lighter air she wasn't very responsive, but it
        was
        > really bad in heavier wind. I'm thinking there is not enough
        > centerboard to maintain heading, and maybe it is because the
        > centerboard is pushing back into the trunk when she moves fast. I
        > don't know what kind of weight these board have. Is this rounding
        up
        > common in the 19 and is there anything that helps?
        >
        > Second, the centerboard line does nothing. When the board drops,
        the
        > rope doesn't go out, and you can't pull the rope because it is at
        > its end. But, I went over the side and the centerboard is swinging
        > down freely, at least in the 3.5 feet of water I was in at the
        time.
        > My question is, if I pop off the inspection plates to try and
        > reattach what appears to be an errant line, how far does the
        > centerboard need to drop so I can reach the attachment point. That
        > is to say, how high must I raise this boat off the trailer to free
        > the board so I can reach the attachment point?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Mike

      • John Shields
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "sailhard1964"
          <sailhard@...> wrote:

          > There is a link to replacing the centerboard cable here
          >
          > http://www.dougpile.com/mac19/mods.html
          >
          > Swing-keel boats sail sort of like big windsurfers. To much force
          on
          > the rudders with the board down and they spin out and you slide
          > sideways. You only want the board fully down sailing upwind. At
          right
          > angles and off the wind pull it up 1/2 way so it's back about 45*.
          > That will take some of the stress of the rudders and make you go
          > faster. If it's gusting over 20 reef the main..the boat goes much
          > faster and tips less. I ran my centerboard line back to the
          cockpit,
          > as I only sail single handed.
          well heres a link to my cutter rigged mac19 she goes like the cats
          a$$
          [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/maccutter19/boating/soon%
          20to%20be%20sailing/?action=view¤t=gadaysailing2_NEW_NEW.flv]
          [IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/maccutter19/boating/soon%
          20to%20be%20sailing/th_gadaysailing2_NEW_NEW.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

          [URL=http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/maccutter19/boating/soon%
          20to%20be%20sailing/?action=view¤t=gadaysailing1_NEW.flv][IMG]
          http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/maccutter19/boating/soon%20to%
          20be%20sailing/th_gadaysailing1_NEW.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

          [IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/maccutter19/4%20headsails%
          20Mac19/I3010070.jpg[/IMG]

          > I very rarely tack...the 19 prefers to jibe...
          >
          > good luck.
          >

          > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bestkidspa"
          > <jmiketyler@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I took my 19 out yesterday for the first time and was generally
          > > satisfied with how she performed. Two issues cropped up that I
          need
          > > to address.
          > >
          > > First, when the wind picks up and she begins to heel heavily,
          she
          > > rounds up into the wind. No amount of tiller can keep her on
          tack.
          > > Sometimes even in lighter air she wasn't very responsive, but it
          > was
          > > really bad in heavier wind. I'm thinking there is not enough
          > > centerboard to maintain heading, and maybe it is because the
          > > centerboard is pushing back into the trunk when she moves fast.
          > > don't know what kind of weight these board have. Is this
          rounding
          > up
          > > common in the 19 and is there anything that helps?
          > >
          > > Second, the centerboard line does nothing. When the board drops,
          > the
          > > rope doesn't go out, and you can't pull the rope because it is
          at
          > > its end. But, I went over the side and the centerboard is
          swinging
          > > down freely, at least in the 3.5 feet of water I was in at the
          > time.
          > > My question is, if I pop off the inspection plates to try and
          > > reattach what appears to be an errant line, how far does the
          > > centerboard need to drop so I can reach the attachment point.
          That
          > > is to say, how high must I raise this boat off the trailer to
          free
          > > the board so I can reach the attachment point?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Mike

        • Paul Higgins
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2008
            Hi. You did'nt say if you were running a working jib or genoa or
            just your mainsail. If you are on just the main you want your
            centerboard only about half way down and it will hold the tack
            better. The Mac19 holds to windward a lot better with a working jib
            and even better with a Genoa