late posting + steering system

  • mike angelo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2008
      sorry again for not posting immediately. For some reason, the messages seem to get lost
      in my overloaded email but hopefully it will improve.

      As far as interlock steering system. The 26x has a super system, however I can see two
      negatives. Unless your motor has very little steering friction, you may end up with more
      tiller force required. Also, if the system limits how far the motor can steer, it may be a
      disadvantage in tight situations. The other day we were out and I didn't notice how close
      we came to shore so I had to use full tiller plus start the motor and use full motor steering
      to avoid the problem.

      You may be able to lower the turning friction on the motor and design the interlock
      mechanism so the motor turns fully then you'd have a sweet system. I'm waiting for some
      designs that we can all improve on.

      Just noticed that my centerboard is stuck in the trunk. Makes tacking tough. Anyone else
      have this problem before? Hope it's not the pully/cable system. On the 26x I sailed in MI
      it took about 2 hours to dig out the barnacles from Lake Erie, then I painted the board and
      trunk with anti-fouling but on a trailer in Arizona I don't understand what's causing the
      problem. Guess I have to jack it up to see. By the way I hooked two 2 x 4s together with a
      big hinge, placed them near the stern and used two floor jacks to raise the rear of the
      boat off the trailer when I had to fix one of the rear trailer bunks. Should give me better
      access to the centerboard with the same method.
    • John Shields
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2008
        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "mike angelo"
        <angelwilliams69@...> wrote:

        > sorry again for not posting immediately. For some reason, the
        messages seem to get lost
        > in my overloaded email but hopefully it will improve.
        >
        > As far as interlock steering system. The 26x has a super system,
        however I can see two
        > negatives. Unless your motor has very little steering friction,
        you may end up with more
        > tiller force required. Also, if the system limits how far the
        motor can steer, it may be a
        > disadvantage in tight situations. The other day we were out and I
        didn't notice how close
        > we came to shore so I had to use full tiller plus start the motor
        and use full motor steering
        > to avoid the problem.
        >
        > You may be able to lower the turning friction on the motor and
        design the interlock
        > mechanism so the motor turns fully then you'd have a sweet
        system. I'm waiting for some
        > designs that we can all improve on.
        >
        > Just noticed that my centerboard is stuck in the trunk. Makes
        tacking tough. Anyone else
        > have this problem before? Hope it's not the pully/cable system.
        On the 26x I sailed in MI
        > it took about 2 hours to dig out the barnacles from Lake Erie,
        then I painted the board and
        > trunk with anti-fouling but on a trailer in Arizona I don't
        understand what's causing the
        > problem. Guess I have to jack it up to see. By the way I hooked
        two 2 x 4s together with a
        > big hinge, placed them near the stern and used two floor jacks to
        raise the rear of the
        > boat off the trailer when I had to fix one of the rear trailer
        bunks. Should give me better
        > access to the centerboard with the same method.

        go to my photobucket site & search all my mods "maccutter19" album
        there you'll see my 26m pedstal steering system on my 19 dual
        furlers eng set back , mast extension & lots of other good things

        John
      • Sean Goodwin
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
          I rigged a very simple tiller/rudder/motor interconnect on my Mac 19
          with four inexpensive rubber bungee cords. Through trial and error,
          I found that two bungees banded together with one end connected to
          each end of the rudder steering shaft connecting rod, and the other
          end to the back corner of the outboard motor will turn the motor
          along with the rudders by moving just the tiller. I also loosened
          the motor steering friction bolt to allow it to turn easier with
          less input. It doesn't quite move the motor stop to stop, but it
          does enough to give the tiller substantially more control than with
          just the tiller/rudders under power. The faster you are going, the
          more force it takes to change direction, but it is safer that way
          since accidental high speed turns can cause unsuspecting passengers
          or crew to end up in the water. When the motor is tilted up out of
          the water, the bungees are slack producing no additional drag on the
          steering during normal sailing. This configuration has also allowed
          me to use my tiller pilot autohelm to steer a heading while under
          power. I can send pictures if you are interested in it.

          I am still trying to figure out how to get my Eagle Cuda GPS fish
          finder to talk to the seatalk autohelm. Once I do, I should be able
          to get my Mac19 to follow a plotted course on autopilot!

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "John Shields"

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008

            Sean,

            Super!

            Please post or send me pictures.

            Thanks,

            Ron Buckles

            ron@...

            “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
            Charlotte Bronte from Jane Eyre

            <maccutter19@...> wrote:

            > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "mike angelo"
            > <angelwilliams69@> wrote:
            > >
            > > sorry again for not posting immediately.  For some reason, the
            > messages seem to get lost
            > > in my overloaded email but hopefully it will improve.
            > >
            > > As far as interlock steering system.  The 26x has a super
            system,
            > however I can see two
            > > negatives.  Unless your motor has very little steering friction,
            > you may end up with more
            > > tiller force required.  Also, if the system limits how far the
            > motor can steer, it may be a

            disadvantage in tight situations.  The other day we were out and
            > didn't notice how close
            > > we came to shore so I had to use full tiller plus start the
            motor
            > and use full motor steering
            > > to avoid the problem.
            > >
            > > You may be able to lower the turning friction on the motor and
            > design the interlock
            > > mechanism so the motor turns  fully then you'd have a sweet
            > system.  I'm waiting for some
            > > designs that we can all improve on.
            > >
            > > Just noticed that my centerboard is stuck in the trunk.  Makes
            > tacking tough.  Anyone else
            > > have this problem before?  Hope it's not the pully/cable
            system.
            > On the 26x I sailed in MI
            > > it took about 2 hours to dig out the barnacles from Lake Erie,
            > then I painted the board and
            > > trunk
            with anti-fouling but on a trailer in Arizona I don't
            > understand what's causing the
            > > problem.  Guess I have to jack it up to see.  By the way I
            hooked
            > two 2 x 4s together with a
            > > big hinge, placed them near the stern and  used two floor jacks
            > raise the rear of the
            > > boat off the trailer when I had to fix one of the rear trailer
            > bunks.  Should give me better
            > > access to the centerboard with the same method.
            > >
            > go to my photobucket site & search all my mods "maccutter19" album
            > there you'll see my 26m pedstal steering system on my 19 dual
            > furlers eng set back , mast extension & lots of other good things
            >
            > John

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:macgregor19sailboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:macgregor19sailboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2008
              I think lots of would like to see how you did it.
              Sounds good. Mike

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • r neher
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2008
                Did you post a picture somewhere on macgregor19sailboat.com?