Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Drain Holes either side of transom well

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2007
      The rudder posts run up channels inside the transom.  Water will get in the channels besides the rudder posts and there must be a way for the water to get out.  Therefore the drain holes.  Do not plug them.  Ron

      “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
      Charlotte Bronte from Jane Eyre

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "andrew_magnetic"
        <andrew@...> wrote:

        > Good morning all
        >
        > I was out yesterday more heavily loaded than usual and, after
        filling
        > the ballast, my bilge pumps kept cutting in.
        >
        > Closer inspection revealed two neat 3/8 inch vent holes just above
        > the "normal" waterline, one either side of the transom, but inside
        of
        > the twin rudders. I had a vague recollection of seing these in the
        > past but it had never dawned on me that they might be a potential
        > hazard!
        >
        > Does anyone have some idea of what these are for and whether
        filling
        > them would cause problems?
        >
        > regards
        >
        > Andrew

        I understand that these are vent holes as mentioned on Heath's
        site so I don't think filling them is a good idea. As John
        (Highlander) thought the water in your bilge was entering via the
        c/b tube when powering he's right as water can come up though there,
        but you didn't say that you were powering at speed just that you
        were bobbing around heavily loaded which make's me believe the water
        is coming in up though the rudder post and into the aft bilge since
        the vents are underwater and cannot drain,and it does open up into
        the aft bilge just above those vents.
        IMHO Doug
      • Paul Higgins
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
          <andrew@...> wrote:

          > Good morning all
          >
          > I was out yesterday more heavily loaded than usual and, after
          filling
          > the ballast, my bilge pumps kept cutting in.
          >
          > Closer inspection revealed two neat 3/8 inch vent holes just above
          > the "normal" waterline, one either side of the transom, but inside
          of
          > the twin rudders. I had a vague recollection of seing these in the
          > past but it had never dawned on me that they might be a potential
          > hazard!
          >
          > Does anyone have some idea of what these are for and whether
          filling
          > them would cause problems?
          >
          > regards
          >
          > Andrew

          The most likey reason you are leaking water in the bilge is that you
          had the stern ballast hatch open and the internal ballast vent open
          or weakly closed with a ill fitting plug. A heavily loaded MAC19
          can actually begin to sink in this configuration. I have seen this
          happen on my own MAC19. Keep the stern hatch closed when you have it
          full of ballast water.

          Another possiblity is the configuration of your bilge pump. If you
          are teed into the cockpit drainage hose without a check valve the
          extra weight can submerge the small through hull hole which is quite
          close to the water line and create a syphon where the water is coming
          back through the bilge pump. I had that problem and fixed it by
          putting in a separte through hull for the bilge pump hose and
          positioning the exit hole high above the waterline.
        • andrew_magnetic
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2007
            Hi Ron

            sorry top sound dumb, but my question was more along the lines
            of "why does these holes vent into my bilges" - if I don't fill them
            (or fix the problem) I'll likely sink!

            Any thoughts?

            -- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Ron Buckles

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
              Andrew,

              A post from 2005:
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
              From: "Garmon, Tom" <tomg@...>
              Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:24:54 -0400
              Subject: RE: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: transom drain holes
              To everybody on this topic,

              I currently have my rudderposts out of my 19. I was able to get a real good look at what is inside the post housings. It seems that the housing is not enclosed all the way up inside the transom. There is an open gap of about 3-4 inches between where the rudder post housing ends and the underside of the transom cap begins. Therefore, it makes sense that if you forced water into the hole that it will quickly fill up the rudderpost housing and spill into the bilge. (The rudderposts eat up most of the space for it to drain out the bottom.) I think that the holes are there to relieve pressure in the hydraulic column that would be created around the rudderposts when motoring. All of the turbulence at the stern could force water up around the rudderposts, the faster you go, the more pressure created, the column rises until it spills out the top into the bilge. The holes would allow the water somewhere else to go, out the stern.

              My two cents anyway!

              Tom
              '92 19'
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

              I once got water in once when I forgot to close the air vent to the ballast and had a heavy load. Otherwise I do not take on measurable water.

              Good luck,

              href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/" target=_blank>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:macgregor19sailboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:macgregor19sailboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • bjoern fry
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007

                Hello fellow sailors,

                I know I’ve not been active on here but my sailing season is just about ready to start. I actually just returned from a 9 week RV trip up to Canada where its relatively cool during the hot summer months. I’ve not been out w/ my Mac 19 as much as I would have liked last year primarily due to a broken rudder and the loss of my primary sailing companion. I’ve also been taking my small glorified rowboat out with kicker to scope out good and bad approaches to where I most commonly launch. I was also almost completely unfamiliar with these waters and just felt I needed to do some exploring with a vessel that isn’t so easily damaged.  Anyway, I’m hoping things will be different this season down here in SW Florida .

                This brings up an important issue for me, at least, and perhaps for a couple others of you who live in the more southern latitudes. Wouldn’t it be possible to have this user group be active all year round? I understand that there would be only a few participants but, unless something unforeseen happens, I would be an enthusiastic contributor and would still like to hear from some of you who can’t just turn the sailor off in themselves during the winter months. I would even be willing to act as winter host or interim moderator or some such thing to keep it going.  … only of course if our moderator prefers to take the winter season off or would like a little assistance along those lines during the northern “off season”.

                Please let me know what you think about this proposal … the season so obviously has already passed for so many of you … I felt it probably would be prudent to wait much longer with this proposal.

                Please let me know what you think.

                Thanks

                Björn Conrad Fry

                Port Charlotte, Florida