Drain Holes either side of transom well

  • andrew_magnetic
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2007
      Good morning all

      I was out yesterday more heavily loaded than usual and, after filling
      the ballast, my bilge pumps kept cutting in.

      Closer inspection revealed two neat 3/8 inch vent holes just above
      the "normal" waterline, one either side of the transom, but inside of
      the twin rudders. I had a vague recollection of seing these in the
      past but it had never dawned on me that they might be a potential
      hazard!

      Does anyone have some idea of what these are for and whether filling
      them would cause problems?

      regards

      Andrew
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2007
        The rudder posts run up channels inside the transom.  Water will get in the channels besides the rudder posts and there must be a way for the water to get out.  Therefore the drain holes.  Do not plug them.  Ron

        “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
        Charlotte Bronte from Jane Eyre

        I was out yesterday more heavily loaded than usual and, after filling
        the ballast, my bilge pumps kept cutting in.

        Closer inspection revealed two neat 3/8 inch vent holes just above
        the "normal" waterline, one either side of the transom, but inside of
        the twin rudders. I had a vague recollection of seing these in the
        past but it had never dawned on me that they might be a potential
        hazard!

        Does anyone have some idea of what these are for and whether filling
        them would cause problems?

        regards

        Andrew

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:macgregor19sailboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:macgregor19sailboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • dee_seas
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "andrew_magnetic"
          <andrew@...> wrote:

          > Good morning all
          >
          > I was out yesterday more heavily loaded than usual and, after
          filling
          > the ballast, my bilge pumps kept cutting in.
          >
          > Closer inspection revealed two neat 3/8 inch vent holes just above
          > the "normal" waterline, one either side of the transom, but inside
          of
          > the twin rudders. I had a vague recollection of seing these in the
          > past but it had never dawned on me that they might be a potential
          > hazard!
          >
          > Does anyone have some idea of what these are for and whether
          filling
          > them would cause problems?
          >
          > regards
          >
          > Andrew

          I understand that these are vent holes as mentioned on Heath's
          site so I don't think filling them is a good idea. As John
          (Highlander) thought the water in your bilge was entering via the
          c/b tube when powering he's right as water can come up though there,
          but you didn't say that you were powering at speed just that you
          were bobbing around heavily loaded which make's me believe the water
          is coming in up though the rudder post and into the aft bilge since
          the vents are underwater and cannot drain,and it does open up into
          the aft bilge just above those vents.
          IMHO Doug
        • Paul Higgins
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
            <andrew@...> wrote:

            > Good morning all
            >
            > I was out yesterday more heavily loaded than usual and, after
            filling
            > the ballast, my bilge pumps kept cutting in.
            >
            > Closer inspection revealed two neat 3/8 inch vent holes just above
            > the "normal" waterline, one either side of the transom, but inside
            of
            > the twin rudders. I had a vague recollection of seing these in the
            > past but it had never dawned on me that they might be a potential
            > hazard!
            >
            > Does anyone have some idea of what these are for and whether
            filling
            > them would cause problems?
            >
            > regards
            >
            > Andrew

            The most likey reason you are leaking water in the bilge is that you
            had the stern ballast hatch open and the internal ballast vent open
            or weakly closed with a ill fitting plug. A heavily loaded MAC19
            can actually begin to sink in this configuration. I have seen this
            happen on my own MAC19. Keep the stern hatch closed when you have it
            full of ballast water.

            Another possiblity is the configuration of your bilge pump. If you
            are teed into the cockpit drainage hose without a check valve the
            extra weight can submerge the small through hull hole which is quite
            close to the water line and create a syphon where the water is coming
            back through the bilge pump. I had that problem and fixed it by
            putting in a separte through hull for the bilge pump hose and
            positioning the exit hole high above the waterline.
          • andrew_magnetic
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2007
              Hi Ron

              sorry top sound dumb, but my question was more along the lines
              of "why does these holes vent into my bilges" - if I don't fill them
              (or fix the problem) I'll likely sink!

              Any thoughts?

              -- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Ron Buckles

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
                Andrew,

                A post from 2005:
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                From: "Garmon, Tom" <tomg@...>
                Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:24:54 -0400
                Subject: RE: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: transom drain holes
                To everybody on this topic,

                I currently have my rudderposts out of my 19. I was able to get a real good look at what is inside the post housings. It seems that the housing is not enclosed all the way up inside the transom. There is an open gap of about 3-4 inches between where the rudder post housing ends and the underside of the transom cap begins. Therefore, it makes sense that if you forced water into the hole that it will quickly fill up the rudderpost housing and spill into the bilge. (The rudderposts eat up most of the space for it to drain out the bottom.) I think that the holes are there to relieve pressure in the hydraulic column that would be created around the rudderposts when motoring. All of the turbulence at the stern could force water up around the rudderposts, the faster you go, the more pressure created, the column rises until it spills out the top into the bilge. The holes would allow the water somewhere else to go, out the stern.

                My two cents anyway!

                Tom
                '92 19'
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I once got water in once when I forgot to close the air vent to the ballast and had a heavy load. Otherwise I do not take on measurable water.

                Good luck,

                href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/" target=_blank>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:macgregor19sailboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:macgregor19sailboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • bjoern fry
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007

                  Hello fellow sailors,

                  I know I’ve not been active on here but my sailing season is just about ready to start. I actually just returned from a 9 week RV trip up to Canada where its relatively cool during the hot summer months. I’ve not been out w/ my Mac 19 as much as I would have liked last year primarily due to a broken rudder and the loss of my primary sailing companion. I’ve also been taking my small glorified rowboat out with kicker to scope out good and bad approaches to where I most commonly launch. I was also almost completely unfamiliar with these waters and just felt I needed to do some exploring with a vessel that isn’t so easily damaged.  Anyway, I’m hoping things will be different this season down here in SW Florida .

                  This brings up an important issue for me, at least, and perhaps for a couple others of you who live in the more southern latitudes. Wouldn’t it be possible to have this user group be active all year round? I understand that there would be only a few participants but, unless something unforeseen happens, I would be an enthusiastic contributor and would still like to hear from some of you who can’t just turn the sailor off in themselves during the winter months. I would even be willing to act as winter host or interim moderator or some such thing to keep it going.  … only of course if our moderator prefers to take the winter season off or would like a little assistance along those lines during the northern “off season”.

                  Please let me know what you think about this proposal … the season so obviously has already passed for so many of you … I felt it probably would be prudent to wait much longer with this proposal.

                  Please let me know what you think.

                  Thanks

                  Björn Conrad Fry

                  Port Charlotte, Florida