Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Honda 50 prop ?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2007
      seed if you can borrow a tach and measure the max. rpm
      at full throttle. Since you probably want top speed
      instead of top acceleration, I'd guess you want a max
      rpm in the 4500-5500 range but check with a Honda
      dealer or see if the manual mentions recommended top
      rpm. When I was an Evinrude dealer we actually had a
      vibration based tach that told you what the rpm was
      but I haven't been able to find one lately. I
      experimented myself with several pitches since the
      standard prop with most engines is too high for the
      Mac 19-in my case a 17 pitch, which I replaced with
      11-13 pitch props.

      The other criteria is top speed. Get a GPS that
      measures speed. With minimal load (empty boat,
      minimal gas, totally empty ballast tank (hopefully
      yours doesn't leak water into it to slow you down) and
      a light driver, you should be able to go 20 mph .
      The ads for the 19 claimed as much as 24 mph with a 40
      hp 2 cycle engine, but your Honda is probably heavier
      and I doubt you'll find ideal water conditions and
      they probably had an 8 year old driver and totally
      empty boat. On the other hand, most 19' displacement
      hull sailboats are lucky to even go 5 mph in a storm
      or no matter how big an engine they use. I'd be
      interested to hear how much faster a 50 hp Honda is
      than the 40 hp normally used on a 19.

      There are rumors that someone, maybe in Colorado had a
      2 cycle 90 hp outboard on their 19 and reached speeds
      over 40 mph. Maybe nice to avoid a storm, pull a
      large water skiier or get to a hot date on time but
      otherwise, what's the rush? good sailing, Mike
      Fortuna
      --- kwuiet1 <kwuiet1@...> wrote:

      > What size and pitch are being used on the honda 50 ?
      > 93, mac 19, honda 50, 3 11.5 13 aluminum.
      > This prop seems a little steep.

      Got a little couch potato?
    • kwuiet1
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007
        Thanks for the replies, I will be trying some diffrent pitches to see
        what works for me.

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "kwuiet1" <kwuiet1@...>