Honda 50 prop ?

  • kwuiet1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5 3:44 PM
      What size and pitch are being used on the honda 50 ?
      93, mac 19, honda 50, 3 11.5 13 aluminum.
      This prop seems a little steep.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8 7:50 AM
        seed if you can borrow a tach and measure the max. rpm
        at full throttle. Since you probably want top speed
        instead of top acceleration, I'd guess you want a max
        rpm in the 4500-5500 range but check with a Honda
        dealer or see if the manual mentions recommended top
        rpm. When I was an Evinrude dealer we actually had a
        vibration based tach that told you what the rpm was
        but I haven't been able to find one lately. I
        experimented myself with several pitches since the
        standard prop with most engines is too high for the
        Mac 19-in my case a 17 pitch, which I replaced with
        11-13 pitch props.

        The other criteria is top speed. Get a GPS that
        measures speed. With minimal load (empty boat,
        minimal gas, totally empty ballast tank (hopefully
        yours doesn't leak water into it to slow you down) and
        a light driver, you should be able to go 20 mph .
        The ads for the 19 claimed as much as 24 mph with a 40
        hp 2 cycle engine, but your Honda is probably heavier
        and I doubt you'll find ideal water conditions and
        they probably had an 8 year old driver and totally
        empty boat. On the other hand, most 19' displacement
        hull sailboats are lucky to even go 5 mph in a storm
        or no matter how big an engine they use. I'd be
        interested to hear how much faster a 50 hp Honda is
        than the 40 hp normally used on a 19.

        There are rumors that someone, maybe in Colorado had a
        2 cycle 90 hp outboard on their 19 and reached speeds
        over 40 mph. Maybe nice to avoid a storm, pull a
        large water skiier or get to a hot date on time but
        otherwise, what's the rush? good sailing, Mike
        Fortuna
        --- kwuiet1 <kwuiet1@...> wrote:

        > What size and pitch are being used on the honda 50 ?
        > 93, mac 19, honda 50, 3 11.5 13 aluminum.
        > This prop seems a little steep.

        Got a little couch potato?
      • Starflight
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8 3:29 PM
          Hi
          I have Honda 30 hp and I use prop 10x9
          Alex

          > What size and pitch are being used on the honda 50 ?
          > 93, mac 19, honda 50, 3 11.5 13 aluminum.
          > This prop seems a little steep.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • kwuiet1
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19 5:04 PM
            Thanks for the replies, I will be trying some diffrent pitches to see
            what works for me.

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "kwuiet1" <kwuiet1@...>