Spinnaker

  • am35ca
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2007
      Anyone with the cruising spinnaker have any tips on using it?
      I just purchased one for my 19, I used it once last weekend and it
      seams ot make a big differnce it the performance.
    • john shields
      Message 2 of 8 , May 20, 2007
        Hi am35ca

        I have a new custom made approx 350sq ft assm. spin. for my mac19 but I have not yet tried it as my boat is not yet ready to sail yet "In the middle of some mods"  so I can't  help you on that dept.   But its nice to know that your satisfied with it, makes me look forward more to flying mine

        Cheers John

        am35ca <am35@...> wrote:
        Anyone with the cruising spinnaker have any tips on using it?
        I just purchased one for my 19, I used it once last weekend and it
        seams ot make a big differnce it the performance.

      • Tom O'Connell
        Message 3 of 8 , May 22, 2007
          It is a Genoa
          --- am35ca <am35@...> wrote:

          > Anyone with the cruising spinnaker have any tips on
          > using it?
          > I just purchased one for my 19, I used it once last
          > weekend and it
          > seams ot make a big differnce it the performance.

          Tom O'Connell
          toc996@...

          ____________________________________________________________________________________Got a little couch potato?
        • m19nevertheless
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
            I bought a new M21 asymetrical spinnaker from BlueWater for my M19. It is slightly larger than the M19, but was available off the shelf and recommende by bluewater. It works quite well, but is definitely a light wind sail as it causes quite a bit of lee helm which could be dangerous in stronger winds. Perhaps better rudders would help.
          • dan sullivan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
              Macgregor claims you can plane an m19 with a spinny with the tank empty....need a trapeeze and good crew I bet.

              To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
              From: sfaurschou@...
              Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:41:05 +0000
              Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Spinnaker

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2012
                I have tried the boat under power without ballast. Once up on plane it rides on one side or the other depending on wind direction, pbably because it has no chine flats. It also feels quite unstable compared to any other boat being top heavy. Since it is not self righting without ballast it would put a pretty big dent in your day if it did capsize.
                We can easily bury the rails in moderate wind with 600 lbs of people on one side and full ballast. With trapeze in strong winds and heavy waves its a pretty sure bet it would capsize.

              • henry.ning@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012

                  Hmmm, kinda strange what you are experiencing .... I power often without ballast and it seems quite stable (I often empty my ballast that way rather than wait for it to drain at the launch ramp).

                  Henry

                  To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                  From: sfaurschou@...
                  Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 22:39:36 +0000
                  Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Spinnaker

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2012
                    Yeah wierd...

                    Sounds like the ballast isn't completely empty and sloshes around and/or your centerboard isn't fully retracted. Could be your bilge is full and sloshing around as well.

                    Also try trimming outboard fully forward and put a passenger on the nose to keep it down. Flat water is best for planing.

                    In wind and chop you should power at hull speed with full ballast for safety.

                    To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
                    From: henry.ning@...
                    Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 13:39:56 +0000
                    Subject: RE: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Spinnaker