rigging question

  • Björn Conrad Fry
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
      Greetings,

      My Mac19 has two small flat SS strap loops on either side and slightly
      ahead of the mast base plate on the upper deck. Couldn't find any
      reference to these ... I'm sure one of you knows. :)

      Bjorn
    • Bruce Puckett
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
        My Mac has the loops but they are not stainless. You can tie a line
        from each one to the cleats on eash side of the mast when raising or
        lowering it. This keeps the mast from going side to side when raising
        or lowering it and breaking the fiberglass on top of the boat. It is a
        good safety when moving the mast by hand and a necessity when using
        the mast raising system..
        Half the fun of getting a new boat is figuring out what everything is
        for!
        Enjoy,
        Bruce

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Björn Conrad Fry
        <bjoern54@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > My Mac19 has two small flat SS strap loops on either side and
        slightly
        > ahead of the mast base plate on the upper deck. Couldn't find any
        > reference to these ... I'm sure one of you knows. :)
        >
        > Bjorn

      • Björn Conrad Fry
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
          Bruce,

          Nope sorry ... those are not the loops I'm referring to. These are
          very flat and are shaped almost flush to the deck and seem to be just
          big enough and just about the right shape to slide in a regular
          leather belt or battons or something quite flat. That's why I thought
          it was for some sort of strapping. They are on either side of the mast
          base plate and in front of the two round dark synthetic rope rings or
          guide loops used to keep the mast centered when it's being raised ...
          I think what you thought I meant is also used to guide the jib and
          genoa lines when under sail.

          Anyone else have any ideas?

          Bjorn

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
          <mac19sailor@...> wrote:

          > My Mac has the loops but they are not stainless. You can tie a line
          > from each one to the cleats on eash side of the mast when raising or
          > lowering it. This keeps the mast from going side to side when raising
          > or lowering it and breaking the fiberglass on top of the boat. It is a
          > good safety when moving the mast by hand and a necessity when using
          > the mast raising system..
          > Half the fun of getting a new boat is figuring out what everything is
          > for!
          > Enjoy,
          > Bruce
          >
          > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Björn Conrad Fry
          > <bjoern54@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > My Mac19 has two small flat SS strap loops on either side and
          > slightly
          > > ahead of the mast base plate on the upper deck. Couldn't find any
          > > reference to these ... I'm sure one of you knows. :)
          > >
          > > Bjorn

        • Mad_Mac_Mod
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
            I think the original mast raising system had a pair of metal brackets that
            slid under those. Wires then ran to that mast to steady it as it was
            raised. I have them on mine but never got the brackets. I tie a rope to
            the Jib sheet leads (little black round things near the straps) and run the
            rope to a 4" hitch pin I have going through the mast about 5-6 ft up - there
            was a hole there already.

            MMM
            Mac for Sale....

            > My Mac19 has two small flat SS strap loops on either side and slightly
            > ahead of the mast base plate on the upper deck. Couldn't find any
            > reference to these ... I'm sure one of you knows. :)
            >
            > Bjorn
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Björn Conrad Fry
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2006
              No not those loops Bruce!

              You are thinking of the dark synthetic loops for securing the mast
              when it's being raised. ... think you can also use the loops you are
              speaking to for guiding your jib ropes to the ratchet posts ...but I'm
              not sure.

              No the ones I'm talking about are right next to the ones you were
              thinking of. They are indeed SS (chrome plated brass perhaps but don't
              think so) and they are about the size and shape to accommodate a
              relatively thin leather or web belt or such ... not more. ... you
              couldn't even get a regular rope of cord through there if you wanted.
              I was thinking ... could there have been a wind screen attachment for
              the bimini that might have had a base bar that fits flush to the top
              deck and that only used two small metal tongues that slid into those
              slots? Could it be something like that? Anyone?

              Thanks.

              <mac19sailor@...> wrote:

              > My Mac has the loops but they are not stainless. You can tie a line
              > from each one to the cleats on eash side of the mast when raising or
              > lowering it. This keeps the mast from going side to side when raising
              > or lowering it and breaking the fiberglass on top of the boat. It is a
              > good safety when moving the mast by hand and a necessity when using
              > the mast raising system..
              > Half the fun of getting a new boat is figuring out what everything is
              > for!
              > Enjoy,
              > Bruce
              >
              > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Björn Conrad Fry
              > <bjoern54@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Greetings,
              > >
              > > My Mac19 has two small flat SS strap loops on either side and
              > slightly
              > > ahead of the mast base plate on the upper deck. Couldn't find any
              > > reference to these ... I'm sure one of you knows. :)
              > >
              > > Bjorn

            • john shields

                > My Mac19 has two small flat SS strap loops on either side and slightly
                > ahead of the mast base plate on the upper deck. Couldn't find any
                > reference to these ... I'm sure one of you knows. :)
                >
                > Bjorn
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                All new Yahoo! Mail

              • Mad_Mac_Mod
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
                  The flat things is what I'm talking about. I too have them but use the Jib
                  sheet guides for my rope. The flat straps are for the factory system.
                  There is an angle bracket with a hole for a rope that slides in there. If
                  you search the web for Macgregor mast raising parts you can find them.

                  MMM

                  <mac19sailor@...> wrote:

                  > My Mac has the loops but they are not stainless. You can tie a line
                  > from each one to the cleats on eash side of the mast when raising or
                  > lowering it. This keeps the mast from going side to side when raising
                  > or lowering it and breaking the fiberglass on top of the boat. It is a
                  > good safety when moving the mast by hand and a necessity when using
                  > the mast raising system..
                  > Half the fun of getting a new boat is figuring out what everything is
                  > for!
                  > Enjoy,
                  > Bruce
                  >
                  > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Björn Conrad Fry
                  > <bjoern54@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Greetings,
                  > >
                  > > My Mac19 has two small flat SS strap loops on either side and
                  > slightly
                  > > ahead of the mast base plate on the upper deck. Couldn't find any
                  > > reference to these ... I'm sure one of you knows. :)
                  > >
                  > > Bjorn

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • maxdantom
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                    I just bought my Mac 19 and tred raising the mast for the first time
                    last weekend. I have the mast raising system so I figured, per the
                    brochure, a kid could do it. Well, after about an hour I figured out
                    which lines were catching etc. I started raising the mast and sure
                    enough it swung out right. I ended up steadying it with my head as I
                    pulled on the rope. Quite a sight. Anyway, to cut a long story short
                    I dropped it again and tried to figure out a system of trying ropes
                    to the mast cleats etc as one of the previous guys suggested. Then I
                    remembered that the fella I bought it from said he had these two
                    extra stays that he did not know what they were for. I pulled them
                    out the trunk and don't you know they are exactly what you are
                    talking about. Flat ends on steel stays that run to the pre drilled
                    hole about 5 feet up the mast. Once attached everything was rigid
                    and the mast went up like a dream!

                    Niel
                    --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Mad_Mac_Mod"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 6, 2006
                      I put a picture of the straps in the 'Ron's SeaKerr' photo album.
                      They are simple and could be easily reproduced with stainless steel
                      hindges and come light weight chain.

                      Ron

                      <Mad_Mac_Mod@...> wrote:

                      > The flat things is what I'm talking about. I too have them but use
                      the Jib
                      > sheet guides for my rope. The flat straps are for the factory
                      system.
                      > There is an angle bracket with a hole for a rope that slides in
                      there. If
                      > you search the web for Macgregor mast raising parts you can find
                      them.

                      > MMM

                    • terrymac19
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 16, 2006
                        I have those same things. My Boat came with a bracket slid through
                        them and then a bolt through the bracket into the deck. A wriggin
                        line was run from the bracket to a point on the mast about 4 feet
                        above the deck.

                        It is used as and additional wrigging point but I doubt it's helping
                        much....just seems to be in the way when I'm trying to get to the
                        foredeck.