Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Mac 19 on the ocean?

  • Randy Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9, 2006
      You'll probably be ok.  check the weather and pay attention to the conditions each time you go.  They can change quickly out there.  Go out on calm days and have a good time.  Make sure you have all the safety equipment  required.

      I'm planning on taking a 17 foot Macgregor out to Catalina island in California.  It's 20 miles out there but people do it all the time when the weather is right.  Some people even take hobie cats and Jet-ski's out there.

      --Randy
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 10, 2006

        I've been considering an M19 What is your set up time for sailing?
        What motor are you using. I'd like to take the trip over to Catalina
        when/if we purchase one. I use to do that in Cal 25's years ago.
        Motoring over would be good to catch a mooring then sail around and
        back a few days later.

        Thanks Christian. cdfusselman@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
          Set up time is about an hour. (Not rushing.)
          I have a 40HP Tohatsu, 2 stroke.
          It will take about 10 gal to gas to get to Catlaina with a heavy load. (Two tanks work well.)
          Ron

          I've been considering an M19 What is your set up time for sailing?
          What motor are you using. I'd like to take the trip over to Catalina
          when/if we purchase one. I use to do that in Cal 25's years ago.
          Motoring over would be good to catch a mooring then sail around and
          back a few days later.

          Thanks Christian. cdfusselman@...

          Quoting Ron Buckles <ronbuckles@...>:

          > Debbie,
          >
          > We take our M19 out often in the Pacific out of Long Beach and Dana
          > Point (CA). We got caught in a squall once. (20-30 kt winds) It was
          > a local cell and came up so fast we did not even reef down. It a wild
          > ride but the M19 did not care.
          >
          > I have a storm jib, but have never used it.
          >
          > Ron

        • Björn Conrad Fry
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
            Ron, Christian, et. al.

            I'm the one who probably started this "won't take my Mac 19 out into
            open ocean" stuff. I'm just showing my lack of experience sailing and
            erring on the side of caution at this early stage for me. I sure
            didn't mean to frighten anyone with my aprehension. ... I'm sure the
            19 is quite seaworthy with someone who knows what they are doing. I
            mean ... how many 19s are there along the Ca. coast after all? I'm
            pretty sure they all don't just confine themselves to inland
            excursions. :) ... Just use common sense and prudent caution and have
            fun. :)

            happy boating

            Bjorn

            --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "cdfusselman@..."

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 19, 2006
              Ron Thanks for the input It's greatly appreciated. Nothing like first
              hand info...
              Christian

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2006
                Good stuff Bjorn
                Not to worry caution is a good thing Your comments are appreciated.
                Have fun with your boat!
                Christian