hello everyone

  • swiwisailor
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2006
      Hello everyone, I just purchased a 1992 mac19 here in New Zealand, one
      of only a handful of these great boats in our country. I have replaced
      the old 40hp Tohatsu 2stroke with a brand new 25hp 4-stroke Tohatsu. I
      wonder if anyone has any experience with smaller engines? what can I
      expect in max. speed once the engine is run in? speed is not my major
      concern, I just wanted a reliable, non smoking and quiet engine :-)

      I am very excited about the boat and I am currently spending a lot of
      time cleaning her out, as the former owner had her stored uncovered
      outside. The whole hull needs a good cut and polish/wax and inside
      there's also a bit of work to be done.

      My boat has the original rotating mast system, which some people say
      does not work properly? any information on that is appreciated!

      cheers
      Swiwisailor
    • andrew_magnetic
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2007
        Hi

        my Mac 19 has until recently had a Yamaha 25hp which - when I propped
        it correctly (8inch pitch seems best) got me a little over 13 mph;
        however, my transom is way too low and the cav plate was 2 - 3 inches
        below the waterline, and I think 15 - 17mph would be achievable if
        set up correctly. I am now going over to a Mercury 40 though.

        In passing, the Permatrim hydrofoil - which comes from NZ - has mad
        it far easier to get up on the plane and stay there at modest revs

        best regards

        Andrew

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "swiwisailor"

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2007
          I looked up some of the comments on the Permatrim.
          Looks like you could make your own lots cheaper. I
          added some horizontal fins to my 40 hp after hearing
          it helped another 19 owner but didn;t really see much
          difference.