Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Considering buying a 19

  • Mad_Mac_Mod
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2006
      The Macgregor factory is in CA and I think the original point of having the
      big motor and motorboat performance is precisely to get to Catelina in a
      hurry and then realx sailing around there. Makes it doeable on a
      weekend.with time to enjoy the place. Anyway, someplace I saw a big writeup
      with this explanation.

      MMM

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2006
        MMM...
        Thanks for the reply That makes sense with the factory in California.
        I was hoping to make such a trip. Thanks Mad Mac Mod...

        Quoting Mad_Mac_Mod <Mad_Mac_Mod@...>:

        > The Macgregor factory is in CA and I think the original point of having the
        > big motor and motorboat performance is precisely to get to Catelina in a
        > hurry and then realx sailing around there. Makes it doeable on a
        > weekend.with time to enjoy the place. Anyway, someplace I saw a big writeup
        > with this explanation.
        >
        > MMM

      • rranger20
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2006
          Björn,
          Thanks for your input. I've taken the trek over to Catalina a number
          of times usually in a cal 25 or 2-27 I've never been much of a power
          boater because I've never owned more than just a small bass boat. I
          can appreciate that the conditions can change quickly once offshore.
          I think I read a few years ago about a guy who somehow got demasted
          on his way over to Catalina and 6 mos later ended up off the coast of
          Japan... Alive... I believe it was suppose to be a nice day for
          sailing line of sight to Catalina. Yikes...

          I imagine that I would be sailing mostly on the local lakes utilizing
          power for towing my kids on a wake board or tube. sailing a bunch
          and swimming. The trip to Catalina would prob be a one time trip if
          the boat is up to it with a margin of safety If anyone has taken
          this trip please share your experience good or bad..
          Björn thanks again and enjoy your new boat Sounds like the 19 will
          be great for your needs.
          Christian

          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, Björn Conrad Fry
          <bjoern54@...> wrote:

          > Christian,
          >
          > You seem to be only a month or two behind me in your
          investigations. I
          > was fortunate enough to have found a nice used Mac19 and am busy
          > getting it ready to do some serious boating and sailing.
          >
          > One of the things that I've noticed is that sailing her in anything
          > other than landlocked bays and waterways without safety handles
          > etc.(my boat doesn't have them) would get a bit too daring for me,
          > especially if I'm not with a competent sailer who knows how to help
          in
          > a pinch.
          >
          > I mention this because I've taken the Catalina run several times on
          > what were really relatively calm days albeit in a private 45 ft.
          motor
          > yacht. What astonished me is the degree to which one is really
          talking
          > open ocean Pacific sailing or boating on that run. I recall 5' to
          10'
          > waves with a few 15s thrown in for good measure. It wasn't a problem
          > in the
          > 45 but I don't think I'd easily make that trip in a 20ft motor boat,
          > and being conservative, isn't that what one is really talking about
          in
          > a Mac19 (especially when under motor power at 15 knots)? I don't
          know
          > ... this is also a question I guess for some of the other group
          > members here who have open ocean or rough sailing experience on the
          Mac19.

          > I have to regard myself as very much a novice sailer who has only
          been
          > out a dozen times or so sofar, and almost all of those on my fixed
          > keel Viking 22 which I suspect is not too different from your Kent
          > Ranger 20.
          >
          > I'm looking forward to traveling a bit with my Mac19 too, however
          > first I've got Charlotte Bay here in SW Florida and her two primary
          > feeder rivers, the Peace and the Myakka, to explore. Conditions here
          > are obviously a lot different.
          >
          > I guess I would be a bit reluctant to just head out into the open
          Gulf