Re: [macgregor19sailboats] In the Water !!

    Message 1 of 10 , May 31 10:07 AM
      Bruce,

      At low speed put the centerboard down and use the rudders at the same time as the motor. The rudders do more to turn a slow boat than the motor.

      Ron

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
        Bruce,
        I will give it a shot...

        Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
        very interested in seeing that.

        I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I believe
        that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply, but
        of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
        since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.

        Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.

        Thanks for the advice.

        Bruce

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
        <mac19sailor@...> wrote:

        > Hey Bruce,
        > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering JoJo.
        > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
        > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
        really
        > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
        > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
        ropes
        > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the rudders
        > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
        >
        > Bruce
        >

        > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
        > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the water...an
        > with
        > > only minimal damage !!
        > >
        > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We had
        > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat to
        > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
        > >
        > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
        > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing damaged
        so
        > > guess I got off lucky....
        > >
        > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
        in
        > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
        > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the boat?
        > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
        > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
        > >
        > > Thanks....
        > >
        > > Bruce
        > >
        > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
        > really
        > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
        > > holding value very well !!!

      • Bruce Puckett
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006
          Bruce,
          I don't have any pics that show the steering system now but I will
          get some for you by the weekend.

          <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

          > Bruce,
          > I will give it a shot...
          >
          > Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
          > very interested in seeing that.
          >
          > I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I
          believe
          > that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply,
          but
          > of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
          > since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.
          >
          > Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.
          >
          > Thanks for the advice.
          >
          > Bruce
          >

          > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
          > <mac19sailor@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey Bruce,
          > > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering
          JoJo.
          > > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
          > > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
          > really
          > > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
          > > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
          > ropes
          > > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the
          rudders
          > > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
          > >
          > > Bruce
          > >

          > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
          > > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the
          water...an
          > > with
          > > > only minimal damage !!
          > > >
          > > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We
          had
          > > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat
          > > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
          > > >
          > > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
          > > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing
          damaged
          > so
          > > > guess I got off lucky....
          > > >
          > > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
          > in
          > > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
          > > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the
          boat?
          > > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
          > > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
          > > >
          > > > Thanks....
          > > >
          > > > Bruce
          > > >
          > > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
          > > really
          > > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
          > > > holding value very well !!!

        • Bruce Puckett
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006

            <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

            > Bruce,
            > I will give it a shot...
            >
            > Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
            > very interested in seeing that.
            >
            > I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I
            believe
            > that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply,
            but
            > of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
            > since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.
            >
            > Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.
            >
            > Thanks for the advice.
            >
            > Bruce
            >

            > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
            > <mac19sailor@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Bruce,
            > > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering
            JoJo.
            > > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
            > > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
            > really
            > > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
            > > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
            > ropes
            > > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the
            rudders
            > > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
            > >
            > > Bruce
            > >

            > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
            > > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the
            water...an
            > > with
            > > > only minimal damage !!
            > > >
            > > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We
            had
            > > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat
            > > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
            > > >
            > > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
            > > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing
            damaged
            > so
            > > > guess I got off lucky....
            > > >
            > > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
            > in
            > > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
            > > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the
            boat?
            > > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
            > > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
            > > >
            > > > Thanks....
            > > >
            > > > Bruce
            > > >
            > > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
            > > really
            > > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
            > > > holding value very well !!!

          • Bruce Puckett
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 24, 2006
              Bruce, I went to the boat to get some shots of the steering sink to
              the rudder but they didn't turn out very well. Will try again
              shortly. Basically, there is pin on the front cover of the motor.
              Two ropes run from the pin to pulleys mounted on each side of the
              engine well and then to a turnbuckle mounted to the opposite
              steering arm. Very simple but effective. Will try for some pics
              tomorrow is the rain holds off.

              <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

              > Bruce,
              > I will give it a shot...
              >
              > Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
              > very interested in seeing that.
              >
              > I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I
              believe
              > that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply,
              but
              > of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
              > since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.
              >
              > Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.
              >
              > Thanks for the advice.
              >
              > Bruce
              >

              > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
              > <mac19sailor@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey Bruce,
              > > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering
              JoJo.
              > > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
              > > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
              > really
              > > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
              > > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
              > ropes
              > > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the
              rudders
              > > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
              > >
              > > Bruce
              > >

              > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
              > > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the
              water...an
              > > with
              > > > only minimal damage !!
              > > >
              > > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We
              had
              > > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat
              > > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
              > > >
              > > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
              > > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing
              damaged
              > so
              > > > guess I got off lucky....
              > > >
              > > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
              > in
              > > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
              > > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the
              boat?
              > > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
              > > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
              > > >
              > > > Thanks....
              > > >
              > > > Bruce
              > > >
              > > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
              > > really
              > > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
              > > > holding value very well !!!

            • Bruce Puckett
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                Ok, I think I got two pictures so you can see my motor/rudder link.
                I put them in the photos section under JoJo rudder link. I only
                have one side hooked up so you can see it easier. It starts with a
                turnbuckle at the end of one steering link. The other end is
                attached to a line that goes through a pulley mounted on the
                opposite side of the motor well. Then it attaches to a pin on the
                front of the engine cover. The same hookup is made on the other
                side. It is very simple but works pretty well.