In the Water !!

  • bruce_xmail
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27, 2006
      Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the water...an with
      only minimal damage !!

      We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We had to
      lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat to
      float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.

      Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
      off......not happy about that but it was the only thing damaged so I
      guess I got off lucky....

      I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is in a
      very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
      dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the boat? I
      used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
      movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....

      Thanks....

      Bruce

      ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not really
      have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
      holding value very well !!!
    • Bruce Puckett
      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2006
        Hey Bruce,
        I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering JoJo.
        If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
        centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a really
        good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference to
        me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with ropes
        and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the rudders
        with the engine helps steer the boat easier.

        Bruce

        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
        <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

        > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the water...an
        with
        > only minimal damage !!
        >
        > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We had
        > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat to
        > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
        >
        > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
        > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing damaged so
        > guess I got off lucky....
        >
        > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is in
        > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
        > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the boat? I
        > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
        > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
        >
        > Thanks....
        >
        > Bruce
        >
        > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
        really
        > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
        > holding value very well !!!

      • Bruce Puckett
        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2006
          Hey Bruce,

          <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

          > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the water...an
          with
          > only minimal damage !!
          >
          > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We had
          > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat to
          > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
          >
          > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
          > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing damaged so
          > guess I got off lucky....
          >
          > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is in
          > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
          > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the boat? I
          > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
          > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
          >
          > Thanks....
          >
          > Bruce
          >
          > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
          really
          > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
          > holding value very well !!!

        • MMM
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2006
            - If you put the centerboard down the boat will pivot around it for sharper
            turns.

            - Some magazines talk about using something called Prop Walk to help with
            tight turns or stern swinging. I never played with it but you may want to
            research it and practice.

            - Turning the rudders with the motor significantly increases responsiveness.
            Takes two hands unless you have a home made linkage - see prior posts. I
            use 2 hands - one on the motor and one on the tiller. I also have an
            extension on the motor and can grip the tiller and motor extension with one
            hand - but it's clumsy and the extension flexes too much for comfort.
            Still, seems to work at low speeds. I need to figure a way to loosen the
            motor friction screw for low speed maneuvering and tighten it easly for
            forward facing high speed running when I steer with the rudders.

            - I tie a long rope to the front cleat, run it along the boat outside the
            stays to he back. When I come close to a doc I try to try to swing the
            stern, where I am, closer to the doc and fling/snap the line over a post,
            while still holding on to the end. If it catches I can draw in leasurly.

            Where is your electric motor? It would be sweet to have it bow mounted with
            remote control. :) If that is your main power it's still nice since you
            can rotate it 360 degrees - just make sure you have a long enough post so
            the prop is just under boat bottom when you turn it.

            MMM

            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2006
              Bruce,

              At low speed put the centerboard down and use the rudders at the same time as the motor. The rudders do more to turn a slow boat than the motor.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
                Bruce,
                I will give it a shot...

                Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
                very interested in seeing that.

                I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I believe
                that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply, but
                of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
                since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.

                Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.

                Thanks for the advice.

                Bruce

                --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
                <mac19sailor@...> wrote:

                > Hey Bruce,
                > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering JoJo.
                > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
                > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
                really
                > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
                > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
                ropes
                > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the rudders
                > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
                >
                > Bruce
                >

                > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
                > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the water...an
                > with
                > > only minimal damage !!
                > >
                > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We had
                > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat to
                > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
                > >
                > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
                > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing damaged
                so
                > > guess I got off lucky....
                > >
                > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
                in
                > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
                > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the boat?
                > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
                > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
                > >
                > > Thanks....
                > >
                > > Bruce
                > >
                > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
                > really
                > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
                > > holding value very well !!!

              • Bruce Puckett
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Bruce,
                  I don't have any pics that show the steering system now but I will
                  get some for you by the weekend.

                  <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

                  > Bruce,
                  > I will give it a shot...
                  >
                  > Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
                  > very interested in seeing that.
                  >
                  > I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I
                  believe
                  > that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply,
                  but
                  > of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
                  > since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.
                  >
                  > Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the advice.
                  >
                  > Bruce
                  >

                  > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
                  > <mac19sailor@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey Bruce,
                  > > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering
                  JoJo.
                  > > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
                  > > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
                  > really
                  > > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
                  > > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
                  > ropes
                  > > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the
                  rudders
                  > > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
                  > >
                  > > Bruce
                  > >

                  > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
                  > > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the
                  water...an
                  > > with
                  > > > only minimal damage !!
                  > > >
                  > > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We
                  had
                  > > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat
                  > > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
                  > > >
                  > > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
                  > > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing
                  damaged
                  > so
                  > > > guess I got off lucky....
                  > > >
                  > > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
                  > in
                  > > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
                  > > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the
                  boat?
                  > > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
                  > > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks....
                  > > >
                  > > > Bruce
                  > > >
                  > > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
                  > > really
                  > > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
                  > > > holding value very well !!!

                • Bruce Puckett
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006
                    Bruce,

                    <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

                    > Bruce,
                    > I will give it a shot...
                    >
                    > Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
                    > very interested in seeing that.
                    >
                    > I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I
                    believe
                    > that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply,
                    but
                    > of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
                    > since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.
                    >
                    > Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the advice.
                    >
                    > Bruce
                    >

                    > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
                    > <mac19sailor@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey Bruce,
                    > > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering
                    JoJo.
                    > > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
                    > > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
                    > really
                    > > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
                    > > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
                    > ropes
                    > > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the
                    rudders
                    > > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
                    > >
                    > > Bruce
                    > >

                    > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
                    > > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the
                    water...an
                    > > with
                    > > > only minimal damage !!
                    > > >
                    > > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We
                    had
                    > > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat
                    > > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
                    > > >
                    > > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
                    > > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing
                    damaged
                    > so
                    > > > guess I got off lucky....
                    > > >
                    > > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
                    > in
                    > > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
                    > > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the
                    boat?
                    > > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
                    > > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks....
                    > > >
                    > > > Bruce
                    > > >
                    > > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
                    > > really
                    > > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
                    > > > holding value very well !!!

                  • Bruce Puckett
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 24, 2006
                      Bruce, I went to the boat to get some shots of the steering sink to
                      the rudder but they didn't turn out very well. Will try again
                      shortly. Basically, there is pin on the front cover of the motor.
                      Two ropes run from the pin to pulleys mounted on each side of the
                      engine well and then to a turnbuckle mounted to the opposite
                      steering arm. Very simple but effective. Will try for some pics
                      tomorrow is the rain holds off.

                      <bruce_xmail@...> wrote:

                      > Bruce,
                      > I will give it a shot...
                      >
                      > Do you have any pictures of your motor/rudder link? I would be
                      > very interested in seeing that.
                      >
                      > I have a motor setback of 6" that I have not installed....I
                      believe
                      > that with the extra motion I will be able to turn more sharply,
                      but
                      > of course I will have to figure out some way to control the motor
                      > since it will be pretty far way from where I sit.
                      >
                      > Going down today to see how the centerboard option works.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the advice.
                      >
                      > Bruce
                      >

                      > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
                      > <mac19sailor@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey Bruce,
                      > > I can give you two suggestions that seem to help me steering
                      JoJo.
                      > > If you have enough draft clearance at your marina, leave the
                      > > centerboard about 1/4 way down. At slow speeds it provides a
                      > really
                      > > good pivot point to turn the boat. It makes a lot of difference
                      > > me. I also have my rudders tied to my engine, literally with
                      > ropes
                      > > and pulleys, still refining it, but being able to turn the
                      rudders
                      > > with the engine helps steer the boat easier.
                      > >
                      > > Bruce
                      > >

                      > > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
                      > > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Well...today was the day. We put the new boat in the
                      water...an
                      > > with
                      > > > only minimal damage !!
                      > > >
                      > > > We had a very hard time getting the boat off the trailer. We
                      had
                      > > > lower the Nissan Quest way down the ramp just to get the boat
                      > > > float....have to think about some way to solve that problem.
                      > > >
                      > > > Scrapes the trolling motor prop on the ramp and broke one side
                      > > > off......not happy about that but it was the only thing
                      damaged
                      > so
                      > > > guess I got off lucky....
                      > > >
                      > > > I am a little concerned about slow speed steerage. My berth is
                      > in
                      > > > very tight marina so I really need to be able to turn on a
                      > > > dime....Any suggestions how to get more steerage from the
                      boat?
                      > > > used the engine as much as possible but it has very limeted
                      > > > movement.....the ballast was empty and the centerboard up.....
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks....
                      > > >
                      > > > Bruce
                      > > >
                      > > > ... PS the Ebay Mac 19 sold for nearly $8000 !!! It did not
                      > > really
                      > > > have alot of extra stuff on it, so it looks like our boats are
                      > > > holding value very well !!!

                    • Bruce Puckett
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
                        Ok, I think I got two pictures so you can see my motor/rudder link.
                        I put them in the photos section under JoJo rudder link. I only
                        have one side hooked up so you can see it easier. It starts with a
                        turnbuckle at the end of one steering link. The other end is
                        attached to a line that goes through a pulley mounted on the
                        opposite side of the motor well. Then it attaches to a pin on the
                        front of the engine cover. The same hookup is made on the other
                        side. It is very simple but works pretty well.