Re: New Mac 19 Owner - Quick Release for Mast ?

  • bruce_xmail
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10 11:19 PM
      Mike,
      Thanks for the advice. I will look for the pictures.

      I will be docked at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. A
      pretty small Marina, but located in a very calm and out of the way
      place on the bay.

      It would be nice to know some other Mac 19 owners to compare notes
      etc....

      I was told that this boat was used for Catalina trips often. I was a
      little surprised to hear it becuase I would think it might get a bit
      rough for the crossing.

      Has anyone taken their Mac 19's in rough conditions? How does it
      handle?

      Thanks

      Bruce

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Angelo Williams"
      <angelwilliams69@...> wrote:

      > Bruce,
      > welcome to the group. Lots of interesting and useful info for you
      > check out in past messages, photos and files. Send us photos of
      your
      > furling system. I have various parts for a furler but haven't put
      > them together yet and some of the other members might want to see
      it
      > also.
      >
      > Any marine supply store, retail or online should offer several
      types
      > of fastpin. The cheaper model with a spring loaded ball may be a
      bit
      > stronger and cheaper than the push button type but the push button
      > type is usually more secure. Either way, to prevent losing it,
      make
      > sure the pin is tied to the forestay adjuster with at least strong
      > line or small stainless cable and crimps.
      >
      > The original system for stabilizing the mast during full or partial
      > lowering when single handing or if you're shorter and weaker uses
      two
      > lines from the deck to the mast cleats. Tedious and not very
      secure.
      > I replaced them with stainless cables, some U fittings on the mast
      and
      > quick clips for easy removal. If I didn't post a photo to the
      files,
      > let me know and I can send photos.
      >
      > Using a gin pole and block and tackle makes it easy to raise and
      lower
      > the mast or just partially lower it enough to get under the
      bridge.

      > Which marina did you choose? I think there are several other Mac
      19's
      > in the area, including some in our group Good luck, Mike
      >

      > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "bruce_xmail"
      > <bruce_xmail@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all.
      > >
      > > I just bought a Mac 19'"Small Change" and I am happy to say I
      will
      > > be moving down to San Diego in a couple of weeks.
      > >
      > > For ease of use I will be keeping it in the water. My Marina is
      on
      > > an estuary and there is a fixed bridge with a 19' clearance so I
      > > will have to lower the mast each time I go out to the bay.
      > >
      > > This MAC has a roller furler system.
      > >
      > > My question is.....Does anyone have a recommendation on the kind
      of
      > > pin (or something) to use to connect the forestay to the boat so
      > > that it is easily removed and reatached?
      > >
      > > I have to find something that is quick, easy and safe.
      > >
      > > Thanks for the help !
      > >
      > > Bruce H-G

    • Angelo Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12 7:20 PM
        Bruce,
        I just checked sailboatowners.com for Mac19s. For some reason they don't currently list
        ANY in CA even though I'm sure there are dozens in S. CA out of the over 1000
        manufactured. You can either check through the group member list, or if someone near
        you reads this, they can contact you. Lots more fun to sail with someone else who has the
        same boat, either with both boats or taking turns on each other's.

        If you don't find lots of crew nearby, let me know. My son lives in San Mateo, not that far
        from you. He works for Hobiecat as their photographer, race set up, etc. and is always out
        doing something on the water or in the mountains and I'm sure wouldn't mind going out
        with you and sailing or giving you any useful advice. They have some really fun boats that
        he gets to test and do research on so he might take you out on some of theirs at
        Oceanside or invite you to a race nearby. Mike Fortuna
      • safieradam
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19 1:31 PM
          I dont' think I've had it really rough, but we get 4 Ft chop on
          Cheseapeek Bay plus some really large wakes - a bit taller then the
          boat from troth to top. Also the frequency is short - sometimes
          just about a boat length (transom is at the crest while the bow is
          hitting into the next wave about 3/4 up the wave.

          Under power she slams a little going directly into the waves. I
          like to slow down to about half speed (10 mph?) and preffer to try
          taking the waves/troths at a 25-40 degree angle. At lest a little
          less than straight on. It is fun to have her splash. Much of the
          spray goes off to the side thanks to the flare but wind will blow it
          back into the cockpit. Never quite submerged the bow so not really
          that rough or hard sailing. Also the bow shape tends to bring it up.
          If she bangs I change the angle of attack and slow down. I try not
          to let her bang under any conditions

          Over small swells she does better with the balast empty - sort of
          skips across if you find the right speed and angle. Other times
          balast helps smooth the ride by plowing through sharp short chop,
          but it's a matter of feel and taste.

          Under sail it has not been an issue as it is slow enough. I enjoyed
          it but crew got sea sick.

          One time out it was blowing and gusty but I did not reef the sail as
          it was reasonably flat water and it was fun heeling. A gust put her
          over so that we (2 adults) had to stand on the gunwale and hang on
          to the railing to keep from going over. Mast seemed horizontal but
          I'm sure it was not. I let out the sail and she came right up,
          after which I kept the sail out just a bit more.

          Sailing with a partly furled genoa seems to hurt speed and handling
          a lot. Best to keep it unfurled at least to the equivalent of a
          regular jib. Once I reefed the main and it seemed to make little
          difference. Reducing sail is a stuggle but I'm working on the
          technique. Just don't need to do it very often.

          As far as I know I have original rigging with a furler. I keep the
          stays reasonably tight but they do loosen a little on the down wind
          side. (Back stay is alway tight.) Since the rigging is mildly tight
          the mast does not seem to whip too much even when a large powerboat
          passes parallel and we rock and roll big time. The one time I
          forgot to tighten the back stay I did not like the way the mast
          snapped the rigging. I think loose rigging is asking for trouble
          when you rock a lot.

          BTW, I'm still a begginer - just don't get out enough.

          MMM
          Mac 19 = Fred (my daughter named her!)