swing keel cable

  • Bruce Puckett
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
      It is time to start getting everything on JoJo ready for spring. I
      was looking at the keel cable last fall and it looked pretty corroded
      around the crimped connection at the keel. I think I want to replace
      it before hitting the water this year. How many of you have replaced
      the keel cable? Did you order one from somewhere or did you make it
      or have it made?
      Thanks
      Bruce
    • maccutter19
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
        --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
        <mac19sailor@...> wrote:

        > It is time to start getting everything on JoJo ready for spring. I
        > was looking at the keel cable last fall and it looked pretty
        corroded
        > around the crimped connection at the keel. I think I want to
        replace
        > it before hitting the water this year. How many of you have
        replaced
        > the keel cable? Did you order one from somewhere or did you make it
        > or have it made?
        > ThanksBruce
        Hi Bruce
        Try your local sail loft thats where I got some of my new shrould
        wires made last year when I made by mac19 a cutter rig . I'll be
        replacing my c/b cable this spring when I install my new center board
        I just got from macgregor boats whitch I ordered last may & just got
        now I had to wait until roger made a prodution run of them "I'm
        told" . So if you need one nows the time to get one . Hope this helps.
        soon to be sailing John S.
      • Bruce Puckett
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
          Part of my problem is that I live in the southern mountains of West
          Virginia, and I do not know of anyone else within many miles that
          owns a sailboat. I don't have the advantage of have stores nearby to
          outfit my boat. There is a West Marine about 3 hours south of where
          I live. I have the tools I think I need to make a cable but would
          rather purchase on made by a pro if I could. Just out of
          curiosity, did something happen to your keel that made you have to
          replace it? Thanks,
          Bruce
          --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "maccutter19"
          <maccutter19@...> wrote:

          > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Puckett"
          > <mac19sailor@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It is time to start getting everything on JoJo ready for spring.
          > > was looking at the keel cable last fall and it looked pretty
          > corroded
          > > around the crimped connection at the keel. I think I want to
          > replace
          > > it before hitting the water this year. How many of you have
          > replaced
          > > the keel cable? Did you order one from somewhere or did you make
          it
          > > or have it made?
          > > ThanksBruce
          > Hi Bruce
          > Try your local sail loft thats where I got some of my new shrould
          > wires made last year when I made by mac19 a cutter rig . I'll be
          > replacing my c/b cable this spring when I install my new center
          board
          > I just got from macgregor boats whitch I ordered last may & just
          got
          > now I had to wait until roger made a prodution run of them "I'm
          > told" . So if you need one nows the time to get one . Hope this
          helps.
          > soon to be sailing John S.

        • maccutter19
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2006
            <mac19sailor@...> wrote:

            >Hi Bruce
            When I was motoring along one day at about 22mph in about 4ft water
            making a turn last spring my c/b cable came off the center board
            mounting brkt's apperently the previous owner had it off at one time
            to paint it with antifouling piant any way smacked it pretty good
            took a huge chunk off the bottom & split it up the back some to.
            When I got the boat home I jacked the back of the boat way up off
            the trl sat the boat back down on some big wooden bocks on the
            ground the front of the boat sitting on the trl & some safety
            blocks between the trl bed boards on the trl & the boat. With the
            boat just resting on the safety blocks to keep it from tilting,
            stacked up the rear blocks on the ground to the rear of the boat at
            the flat center keel section in front of the engine got to be real
            careful . Used a big 4"x8" block on its side on top of the jack so
            as not to put a hole through the hull & spread the load had to keep
            raising the jack up on blocks to get enough height to remove the c
            b . Anyway found the bolt for the cb cable still sitting in one of
            the cb brkt's, cable came out the nut was missing futher inspection
            I found that the bolt threads had been cross threaded & that you
            could only get a nut to go on about 1 1/2 turns & that I guess some
            one had just reefed it that far & figured it would be ok . so my
            guess is it eventually vibrated loose, at the same time I found out
            why the dam thing was so hard to raise & lower they had routed cb
            cable wrong it was running over the guide pin instead of running
            between the guide pin & the pully . It shure goes up & down nice and
            easy running on the pully. I thinking of cutting the bottom half of
            the old cb off which I had temp. repaired & adding a poss. 3/8"
            steel plate with a hinged v-wing on the bottom for better pointing &
            overall performence nothing like a little bit of expermenting when
            I've now got a spare cb to play with . By the way Ida Sailor wanted
            about $700.00 for one of their c/b which they wanted me to shipp my
            old cb down to them so as they coud make a mould & me pay for the
            shipping I thought he should have gave me a cb at least for nothing
            as I was suppling him with a mould with which he was going to be
            making money from ?. Anyway the macgregor cb was less than half the
            price of the Ida sailor cb . By the way Bruce when I made up my 4ft
            bow sprit I made up a support shrould wire from the bow eye to the
            3/4 point on the bow sprit at West Marine . the manager of the store
            gave me a hand they have the tools to do it "hand crimping only "
            they let you use them free of charge some West marine Stores do have
            rigging people on staff . your c/b cable has only one end that has
            to have an eye crimped on it the other end you feed through to the
            inside of the boat & use a clamp to make an eye hope this helps jes
            I'm long winded eh. we got about 2ft of snow this wk-end so I'll not
            be sailing any time soon
            See Ya John S.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2006
              Hi all,

              I have added John's comments to the "M19 centerboard cable repair.doc"
              file.

              Thanks John!

              Happy sails,