Sailing Performance Enhancement

  • eo_ant
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2005
      I'm thinking primarily about Chris's modified centerboard raising
      system. There seems to be a fair amount of interest by 26M owners in
      adding some lead to the bottom of their daggerboards for improved
      stability, and at least one 26X owner added lead to his centerboard.
      To get the centerboard to work properly he had to reinforce the pivot
      point and add some turning blocks in the centerboard trunk. But with
      an arrangement like what Chris has this would be unnecessary. Still
      might want to reinforce the pivot point however.

      Everyone that has added some lead down low seems to think it has been
      an improvement.

      Maybe adding somewhere between 50 and 100 hundred pounds of lead shot
      held in place with some resin in the bottom end of the centerboard
      would add to the stability of an M19 enough that along with some
      weight low and in the bow would make sailing in light air without
      water ballast a more viable option and add to the stability even more
      when the water ballast tank was full.

      I don't think adding weight to the centerboard would be a good idea
      without also changing the way the centerboard is raised and lowered.
      It would put too much strain on the existing mechanism I think.

      Eric