Mast spreader tips

  • Mad_Mac_Mod
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2005
      After a whole summer of missed sailing I finally got around to taking my M19
      out. During dewinterizing inspection I discovered that one of the spreader
      tip caps was broken in half and the stay had nothing to hold it on. I could
      try to order on line and wait another weekend but I decided to visit a bunch
      of local boat stores. Most had nothing and the sales staff had no idea what
      I was talking about or where to look. Luckily, I came across an older geezer
      at a WestMarine store (after the youg turk shruged in defeat). The older
      gent thought a minute and said "we don't carry those for the spreaders but
      maybe this will do.... " and pointed to a black plastic cleat that attaches
      to the stays - a flag cleat or something. Lo and behold the back side of
      the cleat is just a millmimeter smaller than the original spreader tip cap.
      A bit expensive but a right-away solution!

      Say_Oy
      M19 - Fred
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006
        As you sleep in the tiny coffin like berth, your girl
        top-
        sides "man's the tiller" against the terrible night.
        Black storm seas
        are rising & falling around your tiny wooden craft
        like lurking
        mountains of waters, and then...a huge wave...you
        TURTLE...and awake
        abruptly in the upside-down submurged water filled
        berth!!!

        What would you do?

        A 'true story' from the Link to the log of the
        Scottish boat "Aegre"
        found in the SubGroup's "Braveheart" album:

        For a direct link to the story, GO TO:

        http://www.mavc2002.com/caledoniayawl/aegre5.htm

        "You are reading sometimes in the SubGroup's
        Braveheart Album and in
        the Sea Classics Albums...right? If not, avast man!
        You may be
        missing some of the world's most amazing voyages...

        The completely free to join Micro Cruiser's SubGroup
        is found at:

        These Great Voyage Links are found in the SubGroup
        Links section in
        the "Braveheart Album" and the free read on line "Sea
        Classics" books
        album.

        http://mail.yahoo.com