2249Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Question re: fully retracting centerboard, easily??

  • Bruce Kinzinger
    Jun 10, 2014

      That Spectra looks interesting.  I see it on Amazon for about $20 for the 50 pound test.  Do you remember what strength you used and how hard it was to thread it through the hull?

      image
      Power Pro Microfilament Line
      Amazon.com : Power Pro Microfilament Line : Superbraid And Braided Fishing Line : Sports & Outdoors
      Preview by Yahoo

      As far as the rudders, they are completely up and out now, as per this updated album:

      image
      Yahoo Groups
      Yahoo! Groups offers free mailing lists, photo & file sharing, group calendars and more. Discuss hot topics, share interests, join online communities.
      Preview by Yahoo

      As far as the prop, it's a 4 blade on the Merc.  Once I install a tachometer, I'll have a better idea if it's optimal. But it matches what Merc recommends per boat length & weight for towing/ running (i.e., we like tubing/ skiing). The extra 10 degrees of wedge have helped, as per these photos.  But I'm still falling short of 23 mph by 2-3 mph, at this time.

      Regards,
      Bruce/ North Star/ Dundee Creek

      From: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 06:59:28 -0700

      Dear fellow Mac 19 friends,

      Our boat is finally able to achieve 20+ mph with our new Merc 40.  Our key issue was that the centerboard was hanging about 3" low when casually "retracted."

      With intentional lifting of the board while on trailer, and locking it in from the inside,  it was fully retracted & the boat broke 20 mph finally.

      The centerboard lifting design suffers from the friction of the CB cable grinding over that metal bar inside.  Has anyone developed an easy way to be confident that the board is fully up, when motoring, or is this just not an issue for others?

      Thank you!
      Bruce / North Star / Dundee Creek, Chesapeake Bay

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic