2064Re: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Mac 19 planing video

  • Shawn Martin
    Jun 21, 2013
      Nice modifications guys.  Thanks for posting.  Getting ready to mount new honda bf50 to my mac 19 I bought last summer.  Have a 10' cmc jack plate I plan on using.  Especially appreciate the specs on prop pitch as I've been weighing heavily over what will work best.  Was thinking maybe a 10" pitch.  I also ordered some 5 degree shims to help with a bit of negative trim, as I heard awhile back that it will help to trim the bow down, due to the lack of angle at the transom.  If you don't mind me asking, what length of shaft are you guys using 20" or 25"?  I want to make sure that I don't get cavitation and/or ventilation in heavy seas, but I'm also trying to keep weight to a minimum.  Anybody rebuilt the water ballast gate valve?  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

      From: dan sullivan <sailhard@...>
      To: "macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com" <macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 5:26 AM
      Subject: RE: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Mac 19 planing video

      Thanks Bruce!

      My bimini is small but it actually can be up while sailing. We love it. I want to make side curtains someday but don't really need them.

      The transom of the m19 is actually too flat to trim the outboard properly...the outboard leg actually hits it.

      I  already modded and installed a jack plate that allows both more forward trim and the motor can lift all the way up without hitting the motor well.  The trim angle is MUCH better now, ( you couldn't see forward unless someone was sitting on the bow with the original transom angle) but could be better...

      I also picked up a used spinnaker that I want to try and fly this year as well!

      Can't wait to see your mods!

      ds

      To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
      From: bruceck9@...
      Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:36:00 -0700

      Very nice video.

      My daughter just helped me install a bimini on Father's Day.  I like your bimini, too.

      I wonder, if there's a way to adjust your motor tilt so that it does not angle as far down, whether that would level you out some...  I'm primarily a sailor, but perhaps adjusting the motor mount could help your speed and efficiency.  I don't know...

      We just picked up a kneeboard today, and when I have enough time off the water, I'll upload a couple winter projects that came out nicely : )

      - Bruce
      North Star