      From: dans <sailhard@...>
      To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:18 PM
      Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: Mac 19 planing video

      Sure enough, I picked up a few extra mph. 21+ mph in light chop w/ 40 hp Honda and 3 blade 9 pitch prop @5500 rpm.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08R_-0dbFVM

      The rudders are out of the water and don't drag at all.

      The nose goes up more than it did with the rudders down, so I put all my gear from the rear birth up in the nose.

      A friend shot the video from shore, it was too long so I just took a cam of a few minutes of it.

      I hope you all are getting out on your M19s!

      --- In mailto:macgregor19sailboats%40yahoogroups.com, "dans" <sailhard@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I discovered something the other day with my rudders.
      > In the manual, Macgregor shows that you put the steel bolts in the
      > lower holes and the breakable bolts inthe top holes. The also allows you to drill an additional hole in the rudder to pin the up while trailering, and also lends itself to the kickup design I've seen. This is fine, but the rudders in the pinned up position drag in the water too much and the "cut" in back of the rudders prevents them from being pulled up fully out of the way.
      >
      > I found that by puttimg the steel pivot bolts in the top holes, you can pull the rudders all the way up and out of the way for faster powering. ( like the M26 ) The cutout of the rudders fits perfect against the stern...I think this is what Macgregor originally had in mind. BTW, I didn't drill any more holes...I use a long bungie to hold the rudders up, and will put nylon bolts in the lower holes for sailing.
      >
      > Of course you need an outboard that can turn both ways to steer powering with the rudders up...

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic