      From: Sean Goodwin <SeanGoodwin@...>
      Subject: [macgregor19sailboats] Re: late posting + steering system
      To: macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 3:06 PM

      I rigged a very simple tiller/rudder/ motor interconnect on my Mac 19
      with four inexpensive rubber bungee cords. Through trial and error,
      I found that two bungees banded together with one end connected to
      each end of the rudder steering shaft connecting rod, and the other
      end to the back corner of the outboard motor will turn the motor
      along with the rudders by moving just the tiller. I also loosened
      the motor steering friction bolt to allow it to turn easier with
      less input. It doesn't quite move the motor stop to stop, but it
      does enough to give the tiller substantially more control than with
      just the tiller/rudders under power. The faster you are going, the
      more force it takes to change direction, but it is safer that way
      since accidental high speed turns can cause unsuspecting passengers
      or crew to end up in the water. When the motor is tilted up out of
      the water, the bungees are slack producing no additional drag on the
      steering during normal sailing. This configuration has also allowed
      me to use my tiller pilot autohelm to steer a heading while under
      power. I can send pictures if you are interested in it.

      I am still trying to figure out how to get my Eagle Cuda GPS fish
      finder to talk to the seatalk autohelm. Once I do, I should be able
      to get my Mac19 to follow a plotted course on autopilot!

      --- In macgregor19sailboat s@yahoogroups. com, "John Shields"