1021Re: Mac19/26X?

  • Chris
    Sep 2, 2005
      Hi Eric,

      Yeah, I certainly did see your post on this subject, and it was very
      useful for me as well. Thanks for passing it along to us. It was
      actually this information that sparked my initiative to devise a
      better sailing Mac19 for myself. I looked up the specs for the
      Mac26C and the Mac25, and they are listed below for anyone who might
      be considering this.

      Mac26C sails

      Jib: 23.6, 19.1, 9.8
      Genoa: 23.6, 21.6, 15.7
      Main: 24.9, 26.2, 10.1
      Aftermarket drifter: 23.6, 22, 17.5

      Mac25

      Jib: 23.6, 19.1, 10.2
      Genoa: 23.6, 21.1, 16.9
      Main: 24.9, 26.6, 10.1

      As you can see in combination to my original post here, the Mac26C
      sails were slightly smaller, and I wanted something that would be
      the biggest headsail that would fit on the Mac19. Being that I
      already had a Mac26X jib, that started me off biased to the Mac26X
      anyhow. I just got lucky that it appears the Mac26X sails will
      fit. Additionally, I
      had experience with the Mac26X genoa, and I thought it would perform
      well on my boat, being that it's a genoa designed for a powersailer
      type of boat. Lastly, I did not want to increase the mainsail
      size as that would definitely contribute to more weather helm.
      However, my 3/4rig setup doesn't use a backstay and I will be
      keeping that aspect since I like to fish out of the cockpit.

      Also, I had a rolling furling with the genoa on my 26X. First off,
      it's huge PITA to raise the mast without a mast raising system with
      all of the extra weight, and to secure it for trailering is more
      complicated as well. This adds at least 10minutes to the whole
      rigging process. I really wanted something that I could put up and
      down by myself quickly and easily. Secondly, I didn't really need
      to furl in the genoa that often with the lighter wind conditions in
      San Diego. The times that I did, it was obvious from the start of
      the day that the winds were going to be brisk. Although, I've seen
      this "snap-on" roller furling system, and I might consider that once
      I see its function in person.

      This is a longshot, but I'm hoping my boat will be faster than a 26X
      in the same conditions and sail use. The displacement hydrodynamics
      says that it won't, but I think my mostly powerboat hull tosses that
      out the window. Then there's that sailing quickly while on a plane
      that some powersailers have reported. I've never personally
      achieved this, but now there's hope! :>)

      -Chris

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "eo_ant" <eric@h...>
      wrote:
      > I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but in case you
      missed it
      > the local dealer told me that several years ago they put a M26
      classic
      > sail rig on a M19. I worked fine and helped the 19 sail better in
      > light winds. The stays were the same length so it was an easy swap.
      > They did have to eliminate the back stay to accomodate the longer
      > boom. With the extra weight in your boat that setup might work
      well.
      > But this probably doesn't help you too much since it would mean
      > getting a new mast and boom.
      >
      > Have you thought about simply putting the biggest jib sail on a
      roller
      > furhling. Easier handling, but sail shape not as good as it would
      be
      > with changing sails. But maybe in higher winds sail shape isn't as
      > important as it is in light wind conditions, and with the sail all
      the
      > way out sail shape should be good.
      >
      > Eric
      >
      > --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris"
      <cbhinkel2@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > So, in the last two or so weeks, I have been
      researching/engineering
      > > a sail configuration to use on my Mac19. Currently, I have the
      > > 3/4rig jib setup which doesn't do too much until the wind hits
      15-
      > > 20knots. Also, my boat has about 800lbs of extra weight, the
      > > majority of which is down low in the boat that I would like to
      call
      > > a "ballast supplement". Lastly, I retained the stock jib from
      my
      > > old 26X to possibly use on my Mac19.
      > >
      > > Mike Fortuna got back to me on the dimensions of the Hobie
      superjib
      > > that he has had good success with to add to my R&D. Mike,
      thanks
      > > very for the effort to measure your sail, and you should
      consider to
      > > post those dimensions to the board as I'm sure other people
      would
      > > benefit from that as well.
      > >
      > > Given the heavy nature of my boat and the general poor light
      wind
      > > performance of the Mac19, I wanted to go with the largest
      headsail
      > > that I could fit onto my boat. At this point, I have good
      reason to
      > > believe the Mac26X headsails would work well. The genoa would
      be
      > > used from 5-15knots with the full Mac19 main (drifter setup),
      the
      > > jib would then go on from 10-20knots, and the stock 3/4rig jib
      could
      > > be utilized as a storm jib along with the reef mainsail in
      anything
      > > from 20knots+. I will need to play with mast rake to maintain
      good
      > > balance and reduce the weatherhelm during gusts. I did this on
      my
      > > 26X with surprisingly good results. Below are the dimensions of
      > > everything I've been working with FYI. They are listed as
      > > luff,leech,foot in units of feet.inches.
      > >
      > > Mac19
      > >
      > > Jib: 24.9, 21.3, 7.7
      > > Genoa: 25.0, 22.6, 13.1
      > > Main: 20.4, 21.2, 8.2
      > > 3/4Jib: 19, 15.6, 7.6 (measured myself)
      > > 3/4Genoa: 19.4, 16, 14.8
      > >
      > > Mac26X
      > >
      > > Jib: 25.4, 21.6, 11.9
      > > Genoa: 25.4, 22.8, 16.9
      > >
      > > Again, I plan on having the Mac19-mainsail, Mac19-3/4Jib, Mac26X-
      > > Genoa and Mac26X-Jib as my final sail inventory. All I need to
      get
      > > is the Mac26X-genoa to be there along with various blocks and
      > > rigging to get it to fit.
      > >
      > > I welcome all feedback as I don't want to spend alot of money on
      > > sail I can't use. Thanks!
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic