1020Re: Mac19/26X?

  • eo_ant
    Sep 1, 2005
      I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but in case you missed it
      the local dealer told me that several years ago they put a M26 classic
      sail rig on a M19. I worked fine and helped the 19 sail better in
      light winds. The stays were the same length so it was an easy swap.
      They did have to eliminate the back stay to accomodate the longer
      boom. With the extra weight in your boat that setup might work well.
      But this probably doesn't help you too much since it would mean
      getting a new mast and boom.

      Have you thought about simply putting the biggest jib sail on a roller
      furhling. Easier handling, but sail shape not as good as it would be
      with changing sails. But maybe in higher winds sail shape isn't as
      important as it is in light wind conditions, and with the sail all the
      way out sail shape should be good.

      Eric

      --- In macgregor19sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cbhinkel2@c...>
      wrote:
      > So, in the last two or so weeks, I have been researching/engineering
      > a sail configuration to use on my Mac19. Currently, I have the
      > 3/4rig jib setup which doesn't do too much until the wind hits 15-
      > 20knots. Also, my boat has about 800lbs of extra weight, the
      > majority of which is down low in the boat that I would like to call
      > a "ballast supplement". Lastly, I retained the stock jib from my
      > old 26X to possibly use on my Mac19.
      >
      > Mike Fortuna got back to me on the dimensions of the Hobie superjib
      > that he has had good success with to add to my R&D. Mike, thanks
      > very for the effort to measure your sail, and you should consider to
      > post those dimensions to the board as I'm sure other people would
      > benefit from that as well.
      >
      > Given the heavy nature of my boat and the general poor light wind
      > performance of the Mac19, I wanted to go with the largest headsail
      > that I could fit onto my boat. At this point, I have good reason to
      > believe the Mac26X headsails would work well. The genoa would be
      > used from 5-15knots with the full Mac19 main (drifter setup), the
      > jib would then go on from 10-20knots, and the stock 3/4rig jib could
      > be utilized as a storm jib along with the reef mainsail in anything
      > from 20knots+. I will need to play with mast rake to maintain good
      > balance and reduce the weatherhelm during gusts. I did this on my
      > 26X with surprisingly good results. Below are the dimensions of
      > everything I've been working with FYI. They are listed as
      > luff,leech,foot in units of feet.inches.
      >
      > Mac19
      >
      > Jib: 24.9, 21.3, 7.7
      > Genoa: 25.0, 22.6, 13.1
      > Main: 20.4, 21.2, 8.2
      > 3/4Jib: 19, 15.6, 7.6 (measured myself)
      > 3/4Genoa: 19.4, 16, 14.8
      >
      > Mac26X
      >
      > Jib: 25.4, 21.6, 11.9
      > Genoa: 25.4, 22.8, 16.9
      >
      > Again, I plan on having the Mac19-mainsail, Mac19-3/4Jib, Mac26X-
      > Genoa and Mac26X-Jib as my final sail inventory. All I need to get
      > is the Mac26X-genoa to be there along with various blocks and
      > rigging to get it to fit.
      >
      > I welcome all feedback as I don't want to spend alot of money on a
      > sail I can't use. Thanks!
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic