Need Recommendations

  • Stan Wong
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
      Hello M2T2,

      Off topic, I will be attending NPS starting this Jan 2010 for 2yrs. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on locations to live (off campus)? I was thinking renting close to Marina state beach. So I can have a 'somewhat' good distance bike ride to campus.

      I'm also racing Ironman Coeur D' Alene 2010, any recommendations on long distance training/groups in the area?

      Thanks,
      Stan

    • Kent Meyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2009
        Stan,
        It has been about a year since I have been, but if you look out in Pacific Grove (PG) or Pebble Beach, that will give you a nice ride in on the bike path and close to a lot of the bike groups that ride.
        Kent

        Kent Meyer
        1430 Augusta Place
        Monterey, CA 93940
        (831) 917-0699

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2009
          Thanks Kent, I have consider Pacific Grove as well. I was up at Pacific Grove for a weekend in August, it appeared that the beach was always covered with a marine layer while the rest of town was sunny. How often does this happen?

          I plan to take another short trip in Nov, to check out the locations again!

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
            PG gets a Marine Layer Daily, usually in the afternoon, but so does most of the area, including Marina and SeaSide. They also get some nice wind but you can not avoid it anywhere in the area. Each has their benefits, Marinia and Seaside is a little warmer, but PG is in a pretty good location and the people are pretty friendly.  It is a fairly comfortable place to live and more convenient to workout. Check them out, rent and availability are also a big factor.

            Kent Meyer
            1430 Augusta Place
            Monterey, CA 93940
            (831) 917-0699

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2009
              Sorry for the incredibly delayed response, but hopefully it's still somewhat useful...

              I have lived in PG, near downtown Monterey near Monterey High School, and in New Monterey (between DLI and PG).  I like living close to town so we can walk to Portola Plaza (there are often festivals and such on the weekends there), coffee shops, grocery stores, etc.  And it is nice being close to work if you need to get in in a hurry.  If I want to get a longer ride in on the way to work, I just head up over the hills and wander around for a while (even better is to do this on the way home so you are not hot and sweaty when you get to work).  But we very rarely drive (once a month or so - basically when we have to pick lumber up from Home Depot and need the car anyway...), so running or biking is the only way we get to work.

              New Monterey is my favorite so far, a little more "real" than PG (less touristy, doesn't seem to close down at 7 or 8 every night...), definitely more sunny than PG (although you get fog anywhere you live in the area unless you head out to the hills - but living at the bottom of a hill was one of our requirements - pulling a 2 year old up a hill at the end of the day in the bike trailer is not my idea of a good time.), and a little less "suburban" feeling than the house we lived at near downtown Monterey.

              I definintely like being close to downtown Monterey, that is where we always end up going to meet up with friends, group rides, runs, etc.

              As far as training, the two main groups (besides NPS of course) are the velo club (vcmonterey.org), and the wednesday night laundry runners (wnlr.org).  A lot of people have done Coeur d'Alene in the past in this area, so you will probably be able to hook up with them through one of these groups.

              Mindy

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
                Hi everyone!!!

                Thanks for these messages, for i just found out last night that i got picked up for the AFIT program (an Air Force program) that will have me in Monterey for 2-2.5 years, come Sep 2010.
                I like the look/feel of bungalows, so was thinking PG would be a good choice, but I also like modern looks, so am thinking new Monterey will also be a good choice.

                I've been looking on craigslist for places to rent/buy, but informing me of any realtors that you might know would be greatly appreciated.

                Oh, seeing how this is a tri club (lol), i've done 3 IM's, dozen or so 1/2's, etc, etc.  I'd like to do some more while there, but am also getting involved with figure competitions. :)

                Thanks so much for your help and advice.  I look forward to meeting you all!
                Chat soon
                Carolyn (cdrocco1218@...)  :)

                Off topic, I will be attending NPS starting this Jan 2010 for 2yrs. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on locations to live (off campus)? I was thinking renting close to Marina state beach. So I can have a 'somewhat' good distance bike ride to campus.

                I'm also racing Ironman Coeur D' Alene 2010, any recommendations on long distance training/groups in the area?

                Thanks,
                Stan

              • Hatch, William (Bill) (CIV)
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
                  RE: [M2T2] Need Recommendations

                  Carolyn,

                  For looking for a home try the website below.

                  Best, Bill

                  www.buyersrealestate.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Awesome!