Big Sur Marathon

  • disporten
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 12:17 AM
      Anyone have any tips from last year for getting to the start point as
      late as possible? Obviously take the latest published bus (I think
      4:45!). But that's still a very early get-up and a long wait until
      the start.
    • m2t2admin
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 12:26 AM
        I guess while I'm at it, I'll ask if there are any tips in general for
        this marathon. My plan:
        - bring old sweats to discard, to stay warm in the morning
        - not planning on carrying any water or food - the course seems well
        stocked
        - gonna bring my mp3 player and sunglasses, that's it
        - gonna ride my bike to the bus departure point and lock it up there
        - other tips? I haven't done a marathon before, wondering if I should
        be bringing anything else, especially for this BSM

        --
        m2t2admin
        m2t2admin@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 7:59 AM
          Since the start is not until 0700, and the busses are leaving early, I plan to pack a full breakfast (yogurt, bagel and Starbucks Frappaccino) and eat it on the bus.  Also bringing:
          - a disposable camera for pictures throughout the course (I did that for Marine Corps and got great pictures)
          - a hat
          - gel paks (not advisable unless you've used on practice runs)
          - don't forget to put on sunscreen before leaving
          - Another idea if you don't want to throw away sweats is to wear a large trashbag or get a mylar blanket from an auto emergency car kit
          - I need to find out if they give out sponges; if not, I bring a hanky for wetting at water stations and wiping sweat

          --
            m2t2admin
            m2t2admin@...

          To send a message to all members of the Monterey Military Triathlon Team, send your e-mail to...
          m2t2@yahoogroups.com

          for archived messages and member options (including unsubscribing)

        • Jay Schneider
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 8:16 AM
            If you're drinking a Frapputhingy, be sure to take a little baggy when you need to go. Personally, I get the willies just thinking about it. Diuretics and marathons don't mix...but hey it's your party.

            --
              m2t2admin
              m2t2admin@...

            To send a message to all members of the Monterey Military Triathlon Team, send your e-mail to...
            m2t2@yahoogroups.com

            for archived messages and member options (including unsubscribing)

            To send a message to all members of the Monterey Military Triathlon Team, send your e-mail to...
            m2t2@yahoogroups.com

            for archived messages and member options (including unsubscribing)

          • Anderson, Reed USA
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1 9:14 AM
              The below comes from experience in several marathons.  While I have never done the BSIM, I have done their half both times and am familiar with the way the course and race organizers set up, and have also talked to others who have done the full.

              Not sure how this race is, but many will not let you use audio devices on the course.  You will have to check the course rules.

              As for the sweats, I would not start the race with them.  A good rule of thumb: if you are chilly while waiting for the starters gun to go off, then you are dressed appropriately; if you are comfortable, then you are overdressed.  You should still dress warm until about 10 minutes or so before the race.  There should be race bags into which you can put your sweats at the start point that you will be able to pick up at the finish point after the race.

              If this is your first race, you may consider taking a water belt and some power gels or something of the equivalent.  My experience with the organizers of this race is that they do not have enough of the non-liquid stuff along the courses.  Taking a water belt is especially important if the weather is warm.  If it is cool for the entire race, then it should not be a problem.  Luckily this year starts earlier than it has in the past, so the bulk of the race should be cool.

              Some clothing tips.  Wear nylon or dry-fit as much as possible.  If your wear a cotton top, and are a male, then you will want to wear band-aids over the nipples to avoid chaffing.  Also lube the groin well so avoid chaffing there as well.  Body glide works well and can be purchased down at the Treadmill.

              Be sure to hydrate beginning a week out, and carbo load 36-48 hours out.  Contrary to popular belief, carbo loading the night before really does no good unless you have a super fast metabolism.  It does not hurt, but that does not give enough time for the body to completely process.  Usually it just makes it so you have to go to the bathroom in the morning or, even worse, along the course.

              Good luck.  Since this is your first marathon, just focus on finishing and do not worry about the time.  Anyone who finishes a marathon is a winner.

              Reed

              --
                m2t2admin
                m2t2admin@...

              To send a message to all members of the Monterey Military Triathlon Team, send your e-mail to...
              m2t2@yahoogroups.com

              for archived messages and member options (including unsubscribing)

            • Ruth, Allen USA
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1 3:56 PM
                Big Sur will have sweat bags available, so you don't have to worry about wearing throw-away sweats, unless you want to. The Body Glide comment was spot on. That stuff really works well. I would also recommend putting on some sport's suntan lotion (hard to sweat off) before getting dressed in the morning. Food wise, just like any race, I wouldn't recommend any fiber and keep the fat/protein low. I like to use gels and a gatorade type drink, but whatever works for you (same as training). Good luck and have fun.

                A.C. "Trout" Ruth

                --
                m2t2admin
                m2t2admin@...

                To send a message to all members of the Monterey Military Triathlon Team, send your e-mail to...
                m2t2@yahoogroups.com

                for archived messages and member options (including unsubscribing)

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Jacqueline Chang
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1 11:19 PM
                  Hmmmmm, why does Tanya call you "Walnut"?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2 8:51 AM
                    Who is Tanya?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2 9:12 AM
                      ooops, sorry -- thought you were another Jay.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2 9:15 AM
                        but I'll be your walnut!...

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 14 4:34 PM
                          Thanks all for BSIM tips. Most of us have (presumably) done
                          triathlons for a while and know most of it, but there is always that
                          one little tip that may help! A couple tidbits from talking to the
                          BSIM office:
                          - recommend you bring a couple gels, just in case, if you plan on
                          finishing in the latter 50% - they have run low/out in past years at
                          some stations (although I find this unacceptable!)
                          - there are no restrictions on headphones
                          - recommend you go to the expo on Friday vice Saturday, for us locals,
                          as the later bus times will likely be not be available for assignment
                          at the Saturday expo
                          Good luck fellow participants. Ed