[lxx] Re: the divine name in the LXX?

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2000
      David,

      Thank you for your help once more. I may just like to add that it was
      very interesting about your reference to the Jehovah's Witnesses' Watchtower
      and Awake along with the Kingdom Interlinear because I have been one of
      Jehovah's Witnesses for 9 years. It's delightful to see someone appreciate
      that the literature does indeed hold scholastic credibility. I am 18 years
      old and have been studying the bible for the last 9 years even as a young
      child. So all my life I've been familiar with the conquest of Jerusalem in
      70 AD and many other biblically historical significant events at a very
      young age. But I can not take credit b/c many of the Watchtower's articles
      have taught me so many things. I hope you do not feel that your e-mail was
      in vain since I already had the Kingdom Interlinear. You threw much light
      upon the subject whereas before I was unclear of a few things.
      On a personal note, thank you for your kind attention to questions that
      are ostensibly mediocre. Of course, everyone has a mediocre learning
      relative to the field they have just engaged in study.
      One thing that captured my attention was when you said you were a
      "non-Christian." Please do not think that I am harboring a bias. I'm just
      interested by your use of the term. Do you believe in the biblical Jesus?
      Do you believe in an historical Jesus? Do you believe in God? My question
      is essentially one question. Please do not think that I am "badgering" you
      either. I am merely curious and I write with the utmost respect, honor, and
      sincerity. I have no hidden agenda. haha Just to reiterate, I am writing
      with a genuine disposition.

      P.S. thanks for your help on the flood also.

      your friend in studies,
      grant polle
      usa
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2000
        My reply to David was intended to be a personal e-mail. I did not mean to
        write to the list.

        My apologies,
        grant polle
        usa
      • Tyler F. Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2000
          It appears (at least accoridng to the biblio below) that the use of the
          tetragrammaton in the LXX is not OG, but is a later development. A couple
          good references are:

          Skehan, P. W. (1980). “The Divine Name at Qumran, in the Masada Scroll, and
          in the Septuagint.” BIOSCS 13: 14-44.

          Pietersma, A. (1984). Kurios or Tetragram: A Renewed Quest for the Original
          Septuagint. De Septuaginta. Studies in Honour of John William Wevers on His
          Sixty-fifth Birthday. A. Pietersma and C. Cox. Mississauga, ON, Benben
          Publications: 85-101.

          There was also a article in JBL that I can't find the reference to. Hope
          this helps.

          -Tyler
          Tyler F. Williams
          Assistant Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, NABC/EBS
          11525 - 23 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6J 4T3
          Phone: (780) 431-5217/ Toll Free: 1-800-567-4988/ Fax: (780) 436-9416
          Web Page: http://www.nabcebs.ab.ca/~twilliam