[lxx] Re: the divine name in the LXX?

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2000
      David,

      I would just like to sincerely thank you for your time and assistance.
      May you continue your studies.

      sincerely,
      grant polle
      usa
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2000
        David,

        Thank you for your help once more. I may just like to add that it was
        very interesting about your reference to the Jehovah's Witnesses' Watchtower
        and Awake along with the Kingdom Interlinear because I have been one of
        Jehovah's Witnesses for 9 years. It's delightful to see someone appreciate
        that the literature does indeed hold scholastic credibility. I am 18 years
        old and have been studying the bible for the last 9 years even as a young
        child. So all my life I've been familiar with the conquest of Jerusalem in
        70 AD and many other biblically historical significant events at a very
        young age. But I can not take credit b/c many of the Watchtower's articles
        have taught me so many things. I hope you do not feel that your e-mail was
        in vain since I already had the Kingdom Interlinear. You threw much light
        upon the subject whereas before I was unclear of a few things.
        On a personal note, thank you for your kind attention to questions that
        are ostensibly mediocre. Of course, everyone has a mediocre learning
        relative to the field they have just engaged in study.
        One thing that captured my attention was when you said you were a
        "non-Christian." Please do not think that I am harboring a bias. I'm just
        interested by your use of the term. Do you believe in the biblical Jesus?
        Do you believe in an historical Jesus? Do you believe in God? My question
        is essentially one question. Please do not think that I am "badgering" you
        either. I am merely curious and I write with the utmost respect, honor, and
        sincerity. I have no hidden agenda. haha Just to reiterate, I am writing
        with a genuine disposition.

        P.S. thanks for your help on the flood also.

        your friend in studies,
        grant polle
        usa
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2000
          My reply to David was intended to be a personal e-mail. I did not mean to
          write to the list.

          My apologies,
          grant polle
          usa
        • Tyler F. Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2000
            It appears (at least accoridng to the biblio below) that the use of the
            tetragrammaton in the LXX is not OG, but is a later development. A couple
            good references are:

            Skehan, P. W. (1980). “The Divine Name at Qumran, in the Masada Scroll, and
            in the Septuagint.” BIOSCS 13: 14-44.

            Pietersma, A. (1984). Kurios or Tetragram: A Renewed Quest for the Original
            Septuagint. De Septuaginta. Studies in Honour of John William Wevers on His
            Sixty-fifth Birthday. A. Pietersma and C. Cox. Mississauga, ON, Benben
            Publications: 85-101.

            There was also a article in JBL that I can't find the reference to. Hope
            this helps.

            -Tyler
            Tyler F. Williams
            Assistant Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, NABC/EBS
            11525 - 23 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6J 4T3
            Phone: (780) 431-5217/ Toll Free: 1-800-567-4988/ Fax: (780) 436-9416
            Web Page: http://www.nabcebs.ab.ca/~twilliam