Exod.6:20 LXX

  • tmcos@canada.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2 11:19 AM
      Dear Friends, I was puzzled when I came across
      Exod.6:20 (LXX) in which Amram is said to take Jochebed
      as his wife who is described as QUGATERA TOU ADELFOU
      TOU PATROS AUTOU and hence, his cousin. However, the MT
      has Amram taking Jochebed who is the sister of his
      father, making her his aunt! I was wondering why the
      differences between these two texts. Is the LXX the
      original reading or is it attempting to soften the MT?
      Many thanks.

      Tony Costa
    • M.Kraus
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2 12:30 PM
        Dear Tony,
        See the Anchor Bible commentary on Exodus by William Propp, p.277.

        Matthew

        >Dear Friends, I was puzzled when I came across
        >Exod.6:20 (LXX) in which Amram is said to take Jochebed
        >as his wife who is described as QUGATERA TOU ADELFOU
        >TOU PATROS AUTOU and hence, his cousin. However, the MT
        >has Amram taking Jochebed who is the sister of his
        >father, making her his aunt! I was wondering why the
        >differences between these two texts. Is the LXX the
        >original reading or is it attempting to soften the MT?
        >Many thanks.
        >
        >Tony Costa
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Matthew Kraus
        Associate Professor of Classics and Jewish Studies
        Stetson Hall b19
        Williams College
        Williamstown, MA 01267
        (413)597-2465