[lxx] LXX Linguistics or Theology?

  • Larry N Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2000
      There seem to be two schools of thought on the LXX. One tends to be
      suspicious of treating LXX tradition as reflective of theological
      interests. The language and character of LXX is understood, as a matter
      of translation technique. The other sees the LXX as reflective of
      theological interests.

      How do these two schools fall in line with the two groups offering New
      English translations of the LXX: NETS and The Orthodox Study Bible
      (website: LXX.org)? Has anyone any assestments of these two projects,
      even in their contrasts, e.g., theologically?

      My initial interest is with the perspective that translations are or can
      be as much hermeneutical as linguistic. I have never found an English
      translation of the NT with which I am 100% in "agreement" nor have I
      translated from my Hebrew Tenach or Greek NT without some measure of
      "interpretation", especially with any degree beyond a literal, wooden
      translation (e.g., a Greek text with English words.)

      I gathered that the field of studies and research considering LXX
      tradition as theology is a presently developing region of LXX studies? I
      would be interested in such informative material, even as to any
      bibliography that anyone may have developed. I have began an examination
      of Hebrews and the author's "theological" use of the LXX. Any
      suggestions would also be appreciated.

      Sincerely,
      Larry Baker
    • james and tatiana miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
        Dear Colleagues:

        Does anyone know if Rahlfs "Verzeichnis der griecheschen Handschriften des
        alten Testaments" is still the authoritative index of LXX MSS? I haven't
        run across any other such index. Jellicoe mentions that it was being
        updated, and a reprinting was planned at some point. But my searches of
        WorldCat turn up only the original edition of this work. So, has it been
        displaced by another "verzeichnis"? Was the original ever updated and
        reprinted? If not, is it still considered the authoritative listing of LXX
        MSS? Any input on these questions will be appreciated.

        Thanks, James Miller
      • Sipila Seppo
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2000
          Dear James

          Rahlfs' Verzeichniss is the only list publised. The Goettingen Unternehmen
          is working an update, but I do not know when such an update is about to
          appear.

          Cordially,

          Seppo

          ---