LXX Variants Project

  • Sigrid Peterson
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8, 2004
      Bob Kraft is in sunnier California for the week. He may, nevertheless,
      answer your query. In the meantime, I will see if this helps.

      The web site we're talking about is
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/catss.html

      You will have noticed that the "Variants Module" "New" files are older
      than the "Variants Module" "Old" files? There has been an effort to
      update files from the old gopher server (like ftp, only not quite) to
      versions that will work with the Web as it is currently constructed.

      I think the internal configuration error on *.var files occurs because
      the three-letter "var" ending is protected as a system or web file of
      some sort. I'm copying this to Dr. Jay Treat, an LXX doctorate who
      works in IT at Penn, and who, I think, is the webmaster for the project, if
      not Bob himself. He may know more about why the problem occurs: I
      notice it doesn't occur on opening the other files.

      There is a full file from the Variants project that has, I believe,
      been proofread, and represents all of the variants from the
      Goettingensis. That's the four Deu *.tav files, in the "Variants
      Module" "New," area.

      To understand the way the variants are encoded for electronic
      transmission, look at the Bibliography. In it, one of the early
      listings under 1986 is
      Abercrombie, J. R., W. Adler, R. A. Kraft and E. Tov. RUTH (CATSS 1).
      SCS 20. Atlanta, GA.: Scholar's Press, 1986.

      This volume on Ruth is the best one-volume explanation and example of a
      variants-encoded electronic text. It is available online at:
      ftp://ftp.lehigh.edu/pub/listserv/ioudaios-l/Articles/rkruth

      One starts working on the Variants project, as many of Bob's students
      have done, by reading the Ruth book and copy editing the electronic
      text against the best available Greek text--Goettingensis or Rahlfs.

      The idea is to have an electronic desktop of the HB/OT/LXX, with the
      Parallel Hebrew/Aramaic and Greek Aligned Text as the centerpiece,
      Hebrew on one side and access to the extensive LXX variants on the
      other.

      Can encoding MSS be far behind?

      Sigrid Peterson
      petersig@...

      > Hi, Robert- >
      > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kraft <kraft@c...> wrote:
      >
      > [snip]
      >
      > >(I regret to report that nothing significant has
      > > been done yet with Exodus in the CATSS Variants
      > > project, where updated evidence can be added once the
      > > basic file is created. Volunteers? For background, see
      > >
      > > http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/catss.html)
      > >
      > > You will, of course, have questions. I'll field them as time and
      > > opportunity permit!
      >
      > You are right: I _do_ have questions:
      >
      > 1) why do I get "Internal Server Error" when clicking on any of the
      > VAR files under 'Variants Module' : 'New'?
      >
      > 2) I see a link explaining IOCSS, but none explaining the 'Variants
      > Project'. How _do_ we use these 'VAR' files?
      >
      > [snip]
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Matthew Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 8, 2004
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@c...> wrote:
        > Bob Kraft is in sunnier California for the week.
        > He may, nevertheless,
        > answer your query. In the meantime, I will see if this helps.

        Thanks for the effort.

        [snip]

        >He may know more about why the problem occurs: I
        > notice it doesn't occur on opening the other files.

        That is a useful observation. Thanks.

        [snip]

        > This volume on Ruth is the best one-volume
        > explanation and example of a
        > variants-encoded electronic text.

        All the more the pity, then, that the URL you gave for it STILL does
        not work.

        > It is available online at:
        > ftp://ftp.lehigh.edu/pub/listserv/ioudaios-l/Articles/rkruth

        Is it? When I click on that link, I get the following error message:

        Begin quote----------
        An error occured opening the folder on the FTP server. Make sure you
        have permission to access this folder. Details:
        550/pub/listserv/ioudaios-l/Articles/rkruth/: no such directory.
        End quote MS IE6 error message---------

        Now MS prefaces the message with all that verbiage
        about 'permissions', but these MS prefaces are often red herrings.
        It sounds to me like somebody redirected the URL you gave to the URL
        quoted in the error message, and the file is NOT there. Or the rule
        replacing "ftp://...edu" with "550" is WRONG.
      • James Miller
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 8, 2004
          On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Matthew Johnson wrote:

          > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@c...> wrote:
          > > This volume on Ruth is the best one-volume
          > > explanation and example of a
          > > variants-encoded electronic text.
          >
          > All the more the pity, then, that the URL you gave for it STILL does
          > not work.
          >
          > > It is available online at:
          > > ftp://ftp.lehigh.edu/pub/listserv/ioudaios-l/Articles/rkruth
          >
          > Is it? When I click on that link, I get the following error message:
          >
          > Begin quote----------
          > An error occured opening the folder on the FTP server. Make sure you
          > have permission to access this folder. Details:
          > 550/pub/listserv/ioudaios-l/Articles/rkruth/: no such directory.
          > End quote MS IE6 error message---------
          >
          > Now MS prefaces the message with all that verbiage
          > about 'permissions', but these MS prefaces are often red herrings.
          > It sounds to me like somebody redirected the URL you gave to the URL
          > quoted in the error message, and the file is NOT there. Or the rule
          > replacing "ftp://...edu" with "550" is WRONG.

          I was able to access and download this file with the Links (text mode)
          browser under Linux, 3PM CST. I think the problem may be with the way
          your browser is/is not configured to handle ftp. As to the other problem
          you mentioned: I did not see any .var files in the "new" directory, but
          did see some in the "old" directory. I, too, got a server error when
          trying to follow links to them. It was definitely a message from the
          server, which is running Apache ("Internal Server Error The server
          encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to
          complete your request. Please contact the server administrator,
          webmaster@... and inform them of the time the error
          occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
          More information about this error may be available in the server error
          log. Apache/1.3.27 Server at ccat.sas.upenn.edu Port 80")

          James
        • Sigrid Peterson
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 8, 2004
            Two thoughts on not being able to access "RKRUTH," the Kraft et.al.
            book on the LXX Variants project:

            1) To be able to access RKRUTH requires membership in IOUDAIOS-L. (I am
            a member, with daily and digest materials turned off, but Reviews, and
            apparently FTP, turned on.) To join, use
            http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/ioudaios/

            2) To be able to access RKRUTH on the ftp server, you might need to
            start at the ioudaios-l listserv at Lehigh, and look for the articles listed under
            Kraft. The URL is:
            http://listserv.lehigh.edu/lists/ioudaios-l/Articles.html

            Try the second one first.

            All the best,
            Sigrid Peterson
            petersig@...

            > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@c...> wrote:
            > > Bob Kraft is in sunnier California for the week.
            > > He may, nevertheless,
            > > answer your query. In the meantime, I will see if this helps.
            >
            > Thanks for the effort.
            >
            > [snip]
            >
            > >He may know more about why the problem occurs: I
            > > notice it doesn't occur on opening the other files.
            >
            > That is a useful observation. Thanks.
            >
            > [snip]
            >
            > > This volume on Ruth is the best one-volume
            > > explanation and example of a
            > > variants-encoded electronic text.
            >
            > All the more the pity, then, that the URL you gave for it STILL does
            > not work.
            >
            > > It is available online at:
            > > ftp://ftp.lehigh.edu/pub/listserv/ioudaios-l/Articles/rkruth
            >
            > Is it? When I click on that link, I get the following error message:
            >
            > Begin quote----------
            > An error occured opening the folder on the FTP server. Make sure you
            > have permission to access this folder. Details:
            > 550/pub/listserv/ioudaios-l/Articles/rkruth/: no such directory.
            > End quote MS IE6 error message---------
            >
            > Now MS prefaces the message with all that verbiage
            > about 'permissions', but these MS prefaces are often red herrings.
            > It sounds to me like somebody redirected the URL you gave to the URL
            > quoted in the error message, and the file is NOT there. Or the rule
            > replacing "ftp://...edu" with "550" is WRONG.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Miller
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 8, 2004
              On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Sigrid Peterson wrote:

              > Two thoughts on not being able to access "RKRUTH," the Kraft et.al.
              > book on the LXX Variants project:
              >
              > 1) To be able to access RKRUTH requires membership in IOUDAIOS-L. (I am
              > a member, with daily and digest materials turned off, but Reviews, and
              > apparently FTP, turned on.) To join, use
              > http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/ioudaios/

              I was able to access the file on the ftp link included in Matthew's note
              just now (3:25PM CST) and download it, even though I neither am subscribed
              to, nor am I a member of, the IOUDAIOS-L list.