[lxx] FW: Diatheke/Syntheke for Berit

  • Choufrine, Arkadi
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 1999
      Dear Larry,

      Thanks for mentioning Kittel. Still the possible reasons for the choice of
      "diatheke" are not that clear as this dictionary seems to suggest. This is
      well shown e.g. by Annie Jaubert ("La Notion d'Alliance dans le judaisme aux
      abords de l'ere chretienne," 1963, pp. 311 - 315). "Berit" seems to have
      enough of the idea of "bilaterality" in it to match "syntheke". "Diatheke,"
      on the other hand, adds the idea of the "testament/ will" (implying the
      death of the testator!) totally absent from "berit."

      Happy Millenium to you too!
      Arkadi

      -----------
      Dear Arkadi,

      You might find a copy of Kittel's THEOLOGICAL DICTIONARY OF THE NEW
      TESTAMENT, vol. 2, page 126f (124-129). These two Greek terms and the
      Hebrew term are discussed. "Diatheke" in the LXX heritage came to be
      culturally synonymous with "berit", having even the latter Latin idea of
      "dispositio(n)" and "testament(um)", as a declaration of God's divine
      will in a unilateral "testament-covenant". "Syntheke" is more of a
      bilateral "treaty-covenant" between equals.

      Happy New "Cardinalist" Millennium,
      Larry N. Baker

      The only fruitcake at overstock.com is our manager.
      He's giving away a $20 coupon, plus our everyday Free Shipping.
      Take advantage of the savings and selection now.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/342/4/_/11887/_/946253513

      -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=lxx&m=1
    • Larry N Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
        Dear Arkadi,

        The original meaning of Berit in Hebrew according to the Theol.
        Dictionary of the OT, vol. 2, p.255 (transl. by John T. Willis) "is not
        'agreement or settlement between two parties,' as is commnly argued.
        berith implies first and foremost the notion of 'imposition,'
        'liability,' or 'obligation,'..." It was something that could be
        commanded as in Ps.111:9 and Jgs. 2:20. Hence, there was, like diatheke,
        a dimension of a "testator" as One divine rather than deceased, in
        contrast to the idea of "syntheke."

        Sincerely,
        Larry N. Baker