Re: [lxx] Query

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2004
      It is a false claim as stated. It is true that no pre-Christian MSS of
      LXX/OG in which a "tetragrammaton passage" is preserved use KURIOS for the
      tetragrammaton, which is presumably what the claimant wanted to say.

      For details and images, see my

      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/earlylxx/jewishpap.html

      And the somewhat helter-skelter discussions there.

      The following pre-Christian fragments do not preserve any "tetragrammaton
      passages":

      01. Qumran cave 4 LXXDeut 11 (2nd bce, parchment roll)
      02. PRyl458 of Deut (2nd bce, papyrus roll),
      03. Qumran cave7 Exod 28 (2nd/1st bce, papyrus roll),
      04. Qumran cave4 Lev\a (2nd/1st bce, parchment roll),
      05. Qumran cave7 EpJer (2nd/1st bce, papyrus roll),
      05+. Qumran cave7 frgs 4, 8, 12 [Epistle of Enoch? = "1 Enoch" 103] (1st
      bce[?], papyrus roll) -- see also reconstruction notes and frg 8 alone
      05+. Qumran cave 7 frg 5 (unidentified controversial "Mark" frg, turn of
      the era[?], papyrus roll),
      06. PFouad266a [942] Gen (1st bce, papyrus roll),
      09. PFouad266c [847] Deut (late 1st bce, papyrus roll),
      10. Qumran cave4 paraphrase of Exod(?) (late 1st bce, papyrus roll),
      11. Qumran cave4 unidentified Greek (late 1st bce, parchment roll),
      12. Qumran cave4 Num 3-4 (turn of the era, parchment roll),
      15. POxy4443 of Esther (1st/2nd ce, papyrus roll),

      These do have a form of the tetragrammaton:

      07. Qumran cave4 Lev\b (1st bce, papyrus roll; tetragrammaton = IAW),
      08. PFouad266b [848] Deut (1st bce, papyrus roll; Hebrew/Aramaic
      tetragrammaton),
      13. Nahal Hever Minor Prophets (hand A), with example of paleo-Hebrew
      tetragrammaton and hand B (turn of the era, parchment roll),
      14. POxy3522 of Job 42 (1st ce, papyrus roll; paleo-Hebrew
      tetragrammaton),

      For the images, see

      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/lxxjewpap/tetragram.jpg

      Good luck. Please let me know if anyone has any additional information or
      corrections!

      Bob

      > Recently, I was faced with the claim that "all pre-Christian mss of the LXX
      > contain the tetragrammaton." Now, I can think immediately of a general response
      > to that claim, but I'm interersted in specifics, and don't really have the time
      > to investigate it at this point. Does anyone know of a specific reference or
      > resource which deals with this specific assertion?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > N.E. Barry Hofstetter
      > Professor of Theological and Biblical Studies
      > The Center for Urban Theological Studies
      > Philadelphia, PA
      > http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1yfx7/

      kraft@...
    • Chris B.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2004
        So is that list of four manuscripts an exhaustive list of pre-christian
        lxx fragments containing the tetragrammaton?

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2004
          Someone asked:

          > So is that list of four manuscripts an exhaustive list of pre-christian
          > lxx fragments containing the tetragrammaton?

          To the best of my knowledge, yes. Corrections or additions would be
          greatly appreciated!

          RAK (with apologies for the delay in responding)